Pudding Plans New Magazine

Concordia to Emphasize Creative and Performing Arts

By Anna D. Wilde

The Hasty Pudding Institute, which already oversees a centuries-old theatrical society and several a capella singing groups, will expand its involvement in the arts this February by publishing a magazine.

The magazine, to be called Concordia, will be a "variety publication," with an emphasis on the creative and performing arts, according to Stacy E. Kilroy '91, a Pudding alumna and editor of the journal.

"We will write about mainstream or popular issues that have to do with the arts and media," Kilroy said. "There will be articles on people and events in the Boston area and around the country."

Kilroy said the first issue of the journal, which will be published twice yearly, will feature an interview with actor and monolinguist Spalding Gray.

Gray, who starred in "The Killing Fields" as well as his own feature film "Swimming to Cambodia," is currently performing in the Hasty Pudding theater.

Kilroy also said she is hoping to land an interview with rapper Queen Latifah, for a story on Tommy Boy records, a New York-based label which also produces De La Soul.

The third feature slated for the first issue will be an examination of the Fogg Art Museum's recent modern art exhibit, which is on display in honor of President Neil Rudenstine and his wife.

Concordia will draw its staff for the first issue from those associated with the Pudding Institute, which includes the social club and the the-atrical society, as well as the Radcliffe Pitches and the Harvard Krokodiloes.

Kilroy added that other Harvard students may be able to contribute in the future.

Local Section

The first journal will include, in addition to the three features, a local section concentrating on "what's going on in Cambridge," Kilroy said.

"This will have video reviews and pieces by Hasty Pudding Club members," she said. "It will be a forum for the club to speak out on various things that don't get press in Cambridge."