M. Booters on Comeback Trail

Crimson Needs Three Straight Wins, Luck to Take Ivy Title

By Ted G. Rose

With two consecutive Ivy wins, the Harvard men's soccer team has climbed back into contention for the Ivy title.

Just over a week ago, the Crimson was in the conference cellar with a Ivy record of 0-2-0.

After last week's victories over Pennsylvania, 3-1, and Cornell, 1-0, Harvard leap-frogged over four other teams to come into this weekend's action in fourth place in the league standings.

Yale (4-0-0 Ivy), Columbia (2-0-2), and Dartmouth (3-1-0), are all still ahead of Harvard.

Good News, Bad News

The bad news is that Harvard has already faced Yale and Columbia, and lost to both.

The good news is that there are still three match-ups remaining between the top four teams including this weekend's game between Yale and Columbia in New York.

The Crimson must win its remaining games with Princeton, Dartmouth and Brown, and then hope that Yale and Columbia self-destruct down the home stretch.

Harvard should be deeply grateful to the men's soccer team for being the lone sport that emerged victorious against Cornell last weekend.

The Crimson's 1-0 win over the Big Red on Saturday night in Ithaca was the only Harvard victory of the weekend. Cornell squads beat Harvard in women's soccer and women's field hockey--not to mention at football.

Northeast Ranking

The Crimson's three consecutive wins have earned the team a seventh place ranking in the Northeast region this week.

Boston University, which was upset by the Crimson almost two weeks ago, retained the number-one spot with a 11-3-0 record.

Other Ivy competitors on the list were Yale, no. 2 in the region, and Dartmouth, no.5.

Daigle Ivy Player of the Week

Harvard Senior Don Daigle was named co-Ivy Player of the Week last week, sharing the honors with Glenn Meininger of the Univ. of Penn.

Daigle has scored nine goals along with one assist in the Crimson's Ivy efforts.

Harvard will need Daigle's goal production down the stretch.