Pedestrians of the World, Unite!

MAIL:

To the Editors of The Crimson:

It is time for the Harvard community and Cambridge citizens to rise up against a new breed of terrorists in their midst: bicyclists.

Bicyclists race past stop signs, drive on the wrong side of the street and, worst of all, use sidewalks as though they were made for them, flying past pedestrians within a hair's breadth.

Every day, bicyclists crash into pedestrians in Harvard Square, then pedal on without apology. Bicyclists whiz through gates and around corners in Harvard Yard, as if the possibility that someone might be passing by is nonexistent.

Bicyclists believe they have supernatural powers to keep pedestrians from getting in their way. Or maybe they really believe pedestrians have eyes in the back of their heads.

Bicyclists display an other-worldly form of recklessness and arrogance. Because their mode of transportation doesn't pollute the air, they think that they are holier than thou, that the rules of the road don't apply to them, that the duty of care doesn't apply to them, either.

There are short-term and long-term solutions to the problem. The police should begin enforcing the laws regarding bicycles. In the meantime, Massachusetts citizens should urge the legislature to require bicyclists and their bicycles to be licensed, and to require bicyclists to carry liability insurance.

To get the message to bicyclists will also require less tolerance on the part of pedestrians who meet them on their way. Thoughtless bicyclists do not deserve the respect which pedestrians' customary deference and dilence imply. When safe, a pedestrian confronted with a bicyclist should not get out of the way. And when a bicyclist bolts around from behind, the pedestrian should make known his or her indignation.

There are a number of words for such occasions. "Happy pedalling" are not among them. Charles G. Thomas