Think Baby Muppets

By P. GREGORY Maravilla

Imagine your mother on stage. She always has something to nag you about and she makes a point of shouting it loud enough so you can hear it even in the back row. Now imagine that she does this all nicely, throwing in a song and dance to make you laugh.

If you have pictured this scene, you get the gist of Kirkland House's presentation of Godspell, one of Broadway's most successful musicals. The production delivers contemporary messages about the Christian faith and encases them in a series of great laughs.

The musical depicts an abbreviated story of Jesus (Michael Stone), beginning with his religious teachings to the disciples and culminating in his betrayal by Judas (Aaron B. Caughey).

While John Weinstein should be scolded for exaggerating the choreography of Jesus and the 12 disciples, the cast overcomes this obstacle with unwavering spirit. Throughout the 16 songs, each of the disciples and Jesus impress the audience with strong singing and a willingness to interact with the audience.

For example, director Victoria Wei has the cast make the bold move of actually wandering down the middle aisle of onlookers and addressing them directly. At the closing of the first act, the disciples coax some members of the audience into joining an onstage dance.

Godspell deviates from many Harvard productions because of its clever innovation--incorporating some tasteful lyrics by rap group Salt 'n' Pepa, for instance. Thanks to Wei, all 13 stage personas have distinct personalities and positions.

Wei cleverly boosts audience approval by making the between-song skits upbeat. The actors take over from there and make an entertaining combination of slapstick comedy and childish behavior. Think Baby Muppets.

With the abundance of outstanding wit and vocals, a set is unnecessary. Jesus and the disciples are differentiated from each other by their pastel colors. And they frequently use costumes and wigs to impress the audience with particular lessons.

This would be a great show to take your family to, if you have one. But despite its motherly moralizing, Godspell will evoke some much needed laughs and envigorate most undergraduates, regardless of religious preference.