The Crimson Is rarely AWARE

MAIL:

To the Editors of The Crimson:

It is often said that to ignore somebody is a more effective insult than it is to actually insult them. You may be unaware that, according to this theory, many organizations at Harvard should feel rather insulated by your staff. Although we don't feel that it is our right to speak for any other groups on campus, we would like to express our concern about the Crimson's coverage of AWARE [Actively Working Against Racism and Ethnocentrism] events.

Admittedly, it is not that The Crimson has never covered AWARE events. There have been some token mentionings of the panel discussions, films, CommUNITY picnics, events and forums which AWARE has provided over the organization's four year history.

What we do not understand is the consistent burying of such consciousness-raising events in the back of the paper, while decidedly more cursory goings- on are made prominent. We are disappointed by the (at best) unenthusiastic tone which characterizes these brief articles as much a their trivializing location in the paper.

We resent the Crimson's ill-aimed focus on irrelevant details of salient public awareness functions(e.g., the poorly-quoted, off subject remarks made by CommUNITY picnic '90 speaker Reverend Stith), rather than an emphasis on the goals of the events and the productive dialogues which are created.

No AWARE event has been nearly as trumpeted in our paper as was John L.Larew's spring 1991 letter, "Why I'm Not Attending AWARE Week. "What does this consistent difference in emphasis, for instance, say about the even-handed, objective campus coverage you profess?

We understand that it is not your job to provide free publicity for any group on campus, and we know that it is your right to decide on all the news that is indeed fir to print. Perhaps we are simply advising you to keep a reporter's eye out-an unbiased, clear eye-for gatherings and events on campus which seek to create engaging and socially conscious dialogue. Such dialogue is the first step toward bringing Harvard's diverse community closer to mutual awareness and understanding, and is more newsworthy than you might think. Nicholas Weinstock, '91-'92   Kendal Black, '92   Co-coordinators, AWARE