W. Booters Face Undefeated Dartmouth Sqaud

By John B. Trainer

The Dartmouth women's soccer team is tied for the first place in the Ivy League with a 5-0-1 record.

The Big Green has allowed just two goals in its six Ivy contests.

Kari Reuter, the Dartmouth goalie, is saving more than 95 percent of the shots on goal, and has a 0.29 goals-against-average in Ivy play.

Dartmouth has defeated Brown and tied Cornell, two teams which have each defeated Harvard earlier this year.

Dartmouth Coach Steve Swanson would seem to have every right to be confident of a victory against the Crimson today at Ohiri Field.

As good as his quad might be, however, Swanson knows that he cannot underestimate the sometimes enigmatic Harvard women's soccer team.

"We have a lot of respect for Harvard," Swanson said. "They've got some very high caliber players down there, and [Harvard Coach] Tim [Wheaton] is doing a fantastic job with them."

While Dartmouth has had a tremendously successful season and is playing with the Ivy League championship on the line, Harvard actually believes that it is fielding a stronger team.

"If we can play hard, we can win," Harvard Assistant Coach Stacy Flionis said. "We are the better team, if we're playing well."

But the phrase, "if we're playing well," has been the catch for the Crimson all season. At various times throughout the season, Harvard has played well enough to compete on the national level. At others, it has barely squeaked by cupcake opponents.

If Harvard plays to its full potential, Dartmouth is in trouble, and Swanson known it.

"They've done very well this season," he said. "We are not overconfident about our chances."

Swanson has to hope that the Crimson comes out flat. If the Crimson does come out flat, Swanson will do his best to exploit his advantage.

But the Big Green's offense is not the kind of unit that can rip defenses to shreds.

Dartmouth's foundation is its exceptionally strong defense, not its explosive offense.

The last time Dartmouth scored a goal was against Yale, way back on October 19. It has played three games since then, and two of them have ended in 0-0 overtime ties.

Clearly, this team lives on its defense.

"They play really tough defense," Flion- is said. "The defense makes their goalie's job a lot easier. [Reuter]'s agile and moves quickly, but I don't know how much she's been challenged."

Swanson prefers not to talk about his strong defense and offensive ineptitude, instead stressing the teamwork aspect of his squad's play.

"We have 11 awfully good players on the field for us," Swanson said. "Except for Kari [Reuters], there are no 'stars' on our team."

But those players will be hard-pressed to get past the strong Crimson defense. The defense has carried a flat Harvard team through games before, and the Big Green's low-scoring offense should make the Crimson's job easier.

The real clash will come at the other end, where the potent Harvard offense meets the powerful Dartmouth defense.

Co-Captain Robin Johnston and forwards Jen Minkus and Laurie Uustal will have to be in peak form in order for the Crimson to triumph.

"It will be a low-scoring game," Flionis said. "But our midfielders are as strong as theirs, and our forwards are stronger."

Harvard seems to think it has the advantage, but Dartmouth is not underestimating the Crimson squad.

Which way the balance will tip is uncertain. What is certain, according to Swanson, is that the spectators will be in for a great game.

"It will be a good day for women's soccer," Swanson predicted.