Wolf Celebrates Expected Win

Ending a Three-Month Campaign, Wolf Enjoys Roast Turkey

By Helen B. Eisenberg

Turnout at the Cambridge polls was extremely low yesterday, but that did not dampen the spirits of supporters of Mayor Alice K. Wolf, who sipped wine and feasted on roast turkey at a post-election party for the mayor last night.

Although final election results won't be known for several days, Wolf's supporters celebrated an expected victory. The party marked the end of a three-month campaign, allowing volunteers to trade poll stories and giving the campaign staff an opportunity to thank volunteers for their support.

"The people who worked on Alice's campaign are dedicated to the end," said campaign manager Norma Weinberg, as sticker-adorned volunteers trooped through headquarters. "It makes you feel that grassroots politics works."

Volunteers watched a video on Wolf's campaign, as the mayor circled through headquarters shaking hands thanking loyal Cambridge residents for their support.

Because preliminary results were still unavailable last night, chat at headquarters centered primarily on low voter turnout. Wolf supporters stationed at polls around the city said as few as eight people had voted in the last two hours of polling. At midday, turnout was so low that Wolf began to knock on neighborhood doors, soliciting last minute votes.

"It was like a morgue," Wolf said.

As reports of low turnout poured in, campaign workers debated what effect that would have on Wolf's reelection chances. Although somewhat depressing for local polititions, low turnout likely favors incumbents, Weinberg said.

Last minute campaigning even extended to the Harvard campus. Wolf was in Cabot House as late as last night soliciting students' votes.

Although Wolf supporters seem confident that their candidate will be reelected to the City Council, volunteers appeared anxious on the upcoming intra-council vote for mayor. That race will largely depend on who receives the most general election votes, said Bliss Austin, staff campaign coordinater. "It's a mysterious process".

As election day adrenalin wore off, Wolf, the campaign staff, and volunteers exhausted from a grueling 12-hour day at the polls expressed relief that the three months of vigorous campaigning had finally ended.

"I can't wait to get into a hot bath," Wolf said.