Catholics Boast New Look

Officers Seek More Members, Programs for New Building

By Richelle Nessralla and Molly J. Schachter

With the election of a new slate of officers last week and the recent completion of a new building, the Catholic Students Association (CSA) is looking to expand both its membership and the reach of its programs.

Newly elected president Mary T. Teichert '93 said her primary objective is to increase participation in the CSA.

"Our main goal is to increase the awareness of the things we do and to expand the range of people we offer things to," she said.

Teichert said the CSA cannot accurately represent the views of Catholic students without a broader base of membership. Currently there are approximately 1200 Catholic students, but only 200 are involved in the organization.

Teichert said she hopes the CSA will unify Harvard's diverse Catholic community.

"We seek to nourish people's spiritual life and provide a sense of community for Catholics in the University," she said.

Teichert said she hopes a new, socially oriented "Frosh Committee" will integrate first-years into the CSA and make them feel more comfortable at Harvard.

CSA leaders also said that expanded meeting space will facilitate the group's growth. The organization has been given space in the new building owned by and located next to St. Paul's Church, Teichert said.

The building, which contains a kitchen, a common room and a library, also serves as a social center for the CSA.

At the top of the new officers' agenda is "Catholic Identity Week," to be held for the first time this February. The week--which will include concerts, movies, discussions and a Mardi Gras celebration--is intended to encourage students to participate in Catholic organizational programs.

Teichert said the organization's traditional activities will continue as well. Such activities include "Earthen Vessels"--an inner city tutoring program--and weekly informal discussions on topics ranging "from sex to labor unions," Teichert said.

In addition, the organization regularly collaborates with other University relgious organizations in order to promote mutual understanding.

"We held a discussion [with Hillel] this semester called 'Who is Jesus,' which was very well attended," Teichert said.

CSA also elected four other members as vice presidents--Kelly A. Bowdren '94, Karen E. Boyle '94, David S. Grenda '94 and Kate T. Sweeney '93.