WORLD

Republic Leaders Commit to Missile Cuts

KIEV, Ukraine--Ukraine's president pledged last night to rid his newly independent republic of all nuclear weapons by the year 2000.

The pledge could put pressure on Russia and two other republics in the former Soviet Union to move quickly to reduce or eliminate their nuclear weapons as well.

The assertion by Ukrainian President Leonid M. Kravchuk and his commitment to adhere to the principles of human rights pleased Secretary of State James A. Baker III.

Baker, at a joint news conference after a three-hour meeting with the one-time senior Communist Party official, said Ukraine "is in the fore-front" of all 12 republics in its commitment to democracy.

"From the standpoint of the United States they couldn't have been more satisfactory," Baker said.

The stop here was the last for Baker in a tour of five newly independent republics, four of which have nuclear weapons on their territory. His message was twofold: dismantle nuclear weapons and place those remaining in safe storage; practice democratic principles.

Recommended Articles

Perry Outlines U.S. Defense Strategies
Secretary of Defense William F. Perry stressed the importance of "preventive defense" in a speech at the Institute of Politics
Richardson Discusses Nuclear Weapons, Russia in IOP Speech
The spread of nuclear weapons is America's greatest national security concern, Secretary of Energy Bill Richardson told a crowd of
A Sensible Test Ban Treaty
Along with education, one of President Bush's first priorities in office should be the ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear Test
Britain and the Bomb
Harold Macmillan's announcement of Britain's radical military realignment promises to affect gravely military planning throughout the NATO nations. This move
Protecting The World From Nuclear War
Ask Dr. B. Lachlan Forrow, coordinator of teaching programs for the Division of Medical Ethics at the Medical School, if
From Pyongyang, With Love
North Korea’s recent attempt to launch its <a target="_blank" href="http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/26/n-ko