On the Road Again: M. Cagers Seek First Win

For Peters' Sake

By R.j. Peters

Normaly, an 0-3 record would not be reason to look for good things to come.

But it is possible to be optimistic about the Harvard men's basketball team, even after this dismal start.

Many factors, not excuses, need to be taken into account to fully understand the Crimson's situation.

First, Harvard is adapting to new Coach Frank Sullivan.

Any time a new coach comes in, a team has to deal with some early problems. Communication lines need to be built. The coach's philosophy must be assimilated by the players.

And before you write off the Crimson, look at Harvard's opponents this season.

The Crimson opened the season against Lehigh in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania and despite the disadvantage of opening on the road, the team performed magnificently in the first half.

Lehigh was picked by many preseason polls to win the Patriot League and earn an NCAA tournament berth.

For its second contest, Harvard found itself on the road again facing Boston University.

The Crimson came storming back in that game after trailing most of the way. A last second comeback was thwarted, however, and Harvard lost a heartbreaker, 85-84.

And everyone knows what came after BU--a crushing defeat at the hands of NCAA National Champion Duke, 118-65. No one was surprised with the result, but Harvard gained valuable experience.

A brutal first four games on the road will be followed by a fourgame homestand starting this Saturday against Boston College. The Crimson must first deal with Holy Cross on the road tonight, however.

Bear in mind that the really important games are yet to come. Ivy league play begins December 17 against Dartmouth at home. It resumes January 11 at Dartmouth, again, beginning the long road to March Madness.

Junior forward Tyler Rullman's impressive play is a bright sign for the rest of the season. His 14 points per game lead the team and his three-point shooting is a valuable asset. Rullman also displayed his rebounding ability in the B.U. game when he pulled down 11 boards.

If Ron Mitchell produces like he did last season, his play could propel the Crimson to the Ivy title.