M. Cagers Need The Old Ron Mitchell to Get Back on Track

For Peter's Sake

By R.j. Peters

What has happened to the old Ron Mitchell?

Last year Mitchell averaged 15.8 points per game and grabbed 9.4 rebounds per game, numbers good enough to earn him first team All-Ivy honors.

But to date, Mitchell has not been able to match his numbers from last year.

Harvard's game plan at the start of this season was to get the ball down low to Mitchell.

But opposing defenses have foiled this plan. They have either collapsed on him--opening up the outside--or have allowed him to go to the basket. But Mitchell hasn't been able to do either.

"I'm struggling offensively," Mitchell said. "It's hurting our overall game."

After four games, he is averaging 10 points per contest, including a season-low four points Wednesday night at Holy Cross. He averages just six rebounds per game.

Not The Same Team

Although these numbers are not horrible for an average player, more is expected and needed from the team captain to propel the Crimson into the win column.

"When Ron is not playing well, we're not the same team," Coach Frank Sullivan said.

One major factor in Mitchell's slump is his foul trouble. He has fouled out of three of the first four games.

Of course, much of this can be attributed to his constant presence on the inside. But Harvard also needs his frontcourt ability, and they cannot get it when he is on the bench.

Another shortfall in Mitchell's recent performance is his ball handling. His 20 turnovers this season have rendered his inside game impotent.

Rullman Stepping Up

The man who has stepped into the big man's role is junior forward Tyler Rullman. Rullman has improved on his 14.5 points and five rebounds per game from last year. He has upped his totals to a fine 16 ppg and 6.5 rpg.

Rullman's accuracy from the floor has also been astounding. His 56.5 percent shooting from the floor pales in comparison to his phenomenal 62.5 percent shooting from three-point land.

Rullman also leads the team in lesser obvious, but equally important, categories. He leads the team in offensive rebounds with nine, exhibiting his ability to give the Crimson second shots. Rullman's six steals, also leading the team, demonstrate his defensive determination.

In the loss to Boston University, Rullman tallied two crucial three-pointers in the last two minutes to spark Harvard's near comeback. His performance Wednesday night included four three's and 20 overall points.

As the Crimson enters its first homestand Saturday against Boston College, the team needs the collaborative efforts of the two big forwards.

A return to glory for Ron Mitchell and continued clutch play from Tyler Rullman could lead to a brighter Harvard future.

"When Ron is not playing well, we're not the same team."

--Harvard Coach Frank Sullivan