What Palestinian Rights?

MAIL:

To the Editors of The Crimson:

After four years at Harvard, I have come to expect the most ridiculous assertions from the ultra-right pro-Israeli faction on campus. But Yvette Alt takes the cake. She has proven that even a Harvard education cannot prevent pro-Israeli zealots from reaching new heights of absurdity.

I refer to her comment in Tuesday's Crimson that Israel is the "only country that takes Palestinian rights seriously."

Israel has shot and killed more than 1000 Palestinian civilians in the last three years alone. Hundreds of Palestinians have been beaten by Israeli "defense" forces. The Israeli army fires tear gas into hospital maternity wards. Israel blows up Palestinian homes and deports the inhabitants.

Thousands of Palestinians have been arrested without charge. The entire Palestinian population is placed under curfew forbidden from leaving their homes for days. Amnesty International documents wide-spread torture of Palestinians. Israeli courts do not allow Palestinians or their lawyers to hear the evidence against them. Palestinians are not permitted to dig wells or construct buildings on their own property. Israel does not allow Palestinians to start new businesses.

And of course, Palestinians are forced to pay taxes to Israel although they have no right to vote. This has been going on for 23 years.

If this is taking Palestinian rights seriously, then it is no wonder that Palestinians supported Saddam Hussein. Trig Tarazi '89