A Dynamic Debut by Working Title

By Mallika J. Marshall

Director Woody Hill proves that minimalism can be successful. The Working Title Repertory Company's production of Sam Shepard's A Lie of the Mind is scarce on props and features a bare-bones set. But creative directing and sophisticated acting combine with a masterful script to make the repertory company's debut truly memorable.

Like many of Shepard's plays, A Lie of the Mind is set in the American West. This play takes a close look at the horror of wife abuse and its effect on two families. Jake (Ian Lithgow), driven by jealousy, beats his wife, Beth (Bina Martin), to a pulp and leaves her for dead. Confused and scared, Jake returns home to his mother, Lorraine (Jacque line Hayes) and sinks into a deep depression.

Meanwhile, Jake's brother, Frankie (Peter Mitchell), sets out discover whether Beth is actually dead or in hiding. Alive, but mentally handicapped and in the care of her feeble-minded parents, Beth tries to cope with her illness and her divided feelings of both longing for and fear of her husband.

Hill's directing deserves commendation. He utilizes every inch of the small Leverett House Library, including many doors, the stairways and the narrow passageway behind the seats, to expand the set and surround the audience with action. Light Designer Tim Magner uses different lighting techniques to convey changes in time and space--particularly during Jake's occasional daydream or flashback. And Hill's staging enchances the production by emphasizing the riff between the two clans. One side of the stage is reserved for Jake's family, another for Beth's, and their paths rarely cross.

Good directing is essential in any production, but the actors really make A Lie of the Mind a theatrical gem. Every performer seems to spit out a Western drawl with ease. Martin's character is particularly demanding because Beth is physically as well as verbally handicapped, and Martin performs as though her disability is real. Hayes handles the fast-paced rhythm of Shepard's dialogue almost flawlessly and commands the audience's attention every time she appears on stage. And Jeanne Simpson is convincing as Beth's airheaded but well-intentioned mother.

All of the male actors give credible performances, particularly Lithgow and Tira Foran as Beth's hard-working but stubborn father. Unfortunately, Hill has several male performers scream and shout to convey anger when more moderate tones would have been more effective.

Despite the decibel problams, A Lie of the Mind successfully blends humorous moments with poignant drama. Both the actors and the director have obviously studied the play closely. If Working Title's debut performance gives any indication of future prowess, the company's April staging of The Three Sisters will be a production to remember.