Returning Students Hear of New President

Undergrads Unemotional About Selection of Rudenstine, Hope for Focus on College Life

By Joshua W. Shenk

Many Harvard students, while on spring break, heard about the appointment of Neil L. Rudenstine as the next president of the University from their local newspapers or by word of mouth. And many contacted last night said they were generally pleased.

"I'm pretty impressed," said Glen M. Bianchi '94 of Strauss Hall. "He sounds like he's certainly got the credentials and it sounds like he's willing to take his time and make good decisions."

Undergraduates said last night that they were encouraged because they believed that Rudenstine's extensive experience with students would lead him to become more closely involved with the College.

And though many said they thought the president would have little effect on their lives, former Undergraduate Council Chair Evan B. Rauch '91-'92 said that Rudenstine would have a large impact on issues from the allocation of scarce funds to divestment of South Africa-related stocks to the appointment of a new dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS).

"The president can appoint an FAS dean who cares about what the students say or one who doesn't care about what the students say," Rauch said.

Robert M. Bincarousky '91 of Kirkland House agreed with Rauch, saying that he hopes the new president will dispel an unfavorable reputation that the College has developed in the last several years.

"I think the undergraduate curriculum could be emphasized more and built up. It upsets me to hear that the hardest part about Harvard is getting in," Bincarousky said.

Because of Rudenstine's experience at Princeton, where undergraduates play a larger role in running the University, the next president might be more willing to plunge into College life, Rauch said.

"He certainly won't be scared of undergraduates," Rauch said.

And even students who are closely involved with sports or other activities should be watching Rudenstine closely, Rauch said.

"There's one very obvious fact: the president controls the money," Rauch said. "It's true that many students just don't care and the president may only affect them to the extent that a building may or may not get built."

Still, many students said last night that shifts in administrative power--even at the highest levels--are not much of a concern to undergraduates.

Cherylyn E. Washington '93 of Currier House said that she saw outgoing President Derek C. Bok walking through the Yard last year and that no one even recognized him.

"I wonder how much effect I'm going to feel since I didn't really feel the effect of Bok," Washington said.

Other students said that they liked the sound of Rudenstine, even if they weren't all that concerned about who was given the post.

"He sounds better than Leder and Feldstein," said Cintra W. Scott '93. "I was happy to get someone in the humanities and I like that he's not the traditional WASP.