Border Knifing Suspect Sought

Police Get Warrant for Lynn Man in Recent Crime

By Joshua A. Gerstein

Cambridge police said yesterday that they obtained an arrest warrant for an individual accused of stabbing a local man on Monday afternoon outside the Border Cafe.

Police declined to identify the suspect, who is from Lynn, Massachusetts, but said he is being sought by the department's warrant apprehension squad.

"We have warrants for assault with intent to murder and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon," said Acting Chief of Police Henry Breen.

The victim, Florian Thompson of Boston, was stabbed several times outside the Church St. restaurant at about 5:30 p.m. Monday, according to an employee of the restaurant. Bystanders said Thompson was attempting to help a Border Cafe waiter stop a man who had stolen two cases of beer from the restaurant when he was stabbed repeatedly in the back.

Thompson was in stable condition last night at Massachusetts General Hospital, according to a hospital spokesperson.

Breen said the warrant was obtained after photos of potential suspects were shown to witnesses. The investigation was conducted by Detective John Conroy, Breen said.

Cabbie Shooting

Police are also seeking a 16-year-old Boston resident for the shooting of a cab driver near Central Square on April 4, Breen said.

According to Breen, the department obtained a warrant for assault with intent to murder yesterday and is making efforts to locate the juvenile named in the warrant.

Patrick Theodur, a 31-year-old driver with the Red & White Cab Association, told police he was shot in the mouth by a passenger he picked up in Boston after he dropped the man off.

Theodur was treated and released from Beth Israel Hospital, but Breen said the victim lost teeth in the attack.

Detective Frank Gutowski investigated the Central Square shooting, Breen said.

The names of juveniles accused of crimes are confidential under state law