Changes Planned In College Meals

Berry Releases Results of Dining Survey

More deli bars, varied salad bar offerings and an increased number of special meals are only some of the changes to be made in the dining service program in response to the recently tabulated Undergraduate Dining Hall Survey, the dining services director said yesterday.

The survey included questions that elicted student opinions on the present food service as well as their preferences about possible "changes or enhancements" to the dining service program.

All first-year students and a randomly-selected 20 percent of upperclass students were mailed the questionnaire in March, and 370 undergraduates responded.

While most of the respondents considered the dining hall staff members to be courteous and friendly, and commented favorably on the cleanliness of the dining halls, students were critical of the overall quality of the food.

According to a tabulations sheet provided by Dining Services Director Michael P. Berry, students rated overall quality of the food at dinner at 2.9 on a scale of 1 to 6. Luncheon food quality received a 3.2 on the same scale. Students rated the breakfast food quality at 3.5. A score of 3 was designated "average" on the scale.

"People perceieve that our people care...and that the units are clean, but that the food is not all that great," Berry said. The director, who assumed the job in January, said he was particularly concerned with the dinner offerings, and said "the whole dinner menu is likely to be changed."

Already some changes have been planned, Berry said. Next semester students can expect to find two 7