Batswomen Go Three for Four

Harvard Sweeps Pair From Cornell, Splits With Yale

By Deirdre Mcevoy

There's nothing like a Sunday afternoon when the sun shines brightly and everybody flocks to the ballpark to watch America's favorite pastime.

Playing under blue skies, the Crimson split a doubleheader with Yale on Saturday and swept Cornell on Sunday.

The Crimson seized control of the Cornell twinbill right away as Crimson hurler Julie Fromholz fired fastball after fastball past Cornell hitters' frustrated bats en route to a 2-0 decision in the opener.

Chris Carr followed with a solid performance in the second game, holding the Big Red to only one run in a 9-1 Crimson victory.

The Crimson finished the weekend with two shutouts and three victories in four tries against its Ivy rivals. As the season has winded down with only four games left to play, the Crimson's pitching has gotten progressively hotter.

Fromholz limited Cornell to two hits and struck out seven in her outing, and Carr--coming off a shut-out victory against Yale on Saturday--surrendered only three hits, while striking out five.

The first game against Cornell remained scoreless until the bottom of the fifth inning when Harvard's Ann Kennon, with one out, started the rally for the Crimson by driving a base hit to center field. Beverly Armstong then reached first on an error, and proceeded to second base on another error. Yet a third error allowed Rachel Donaldson to reach first and Kennon to score from third.

The Crimson bats surfaced once again to make it 2-0 in the bottom of the sixth inning. Katie Fitta reached first after slapping down a nice bunt. She then advanced to second base on a sacrifice bunt by Nicole Desharnais. Fitta advanced to third on an outfield fly, and scored on a Fromholz smash to left field. That was all Harvard would need for its 2-0 victory.

"I felt very good," Crimson hurler Fromholz said of her performance versus Cornell where she shut out the Big Red. "I get stronger as the game goes on. I keep telling myself I should just warm-up more because by the sixth inning I'm pitching really well-much better than I am in the beginning. I felt strong."

Unlike the Crimson's downhill performance on Saturday against Yale, the Crimson refused to let up in its second game against Cornell. In the bottom of the first inning, Chris Carr, the Crimson hurler for the game, drove in the first run of the game with a base hit to center field. Harvard collected two more runs in the next inning when Kennon led off with a hard smash to center field and scored on a single. Desharnais nailed double to center field that knocked home Donaldson, to make it 3-0.

Chris Carr led the Crimson's offense once again in the bottom of the third inning with a basehit to left. Liz Resnick reached first on an error that scored Carr. Resnick then scored after stealing second, third and home on two passed balls by the Big Red pitcher. This gave Harvard a 5-0 lead it would not relinquish.