New Black Journal Focuses on Politics

Intended to Unify Black Community

By Suruchi Chandra

In an effort to unify the Black community at Harvard, the African American Cultural Center (AACC) is producing a new magazine called The Word.

Erica G. Rowe '93, director of AACC, said that over the last few years, "people have been disillusioned with African American organizations," and that has made it difficult for Black student groups to attract and keep the commitment of Blacks at Harvard. The Word, which has previously existed as a sporadically published organization newsletter, is being revived as a magazine to combat this disenchantment, Rowe said.

Currently, the magazine's staff is small, consisting only of Rowe, Lisa Ellis '94 and Allison McKenzie '94. The group has gathered about eight articles and plans to publish the first issue of The Word during exam period. Rowe said the first issue will probably be short--approximately eight pages in length--but she hopes both the staff and magazine will grow next year as interest in it increases.

Presently Diaspora is the magazine of "African thought and Culture" at Harvard. Rowe said The Word will emphasize different interests and thus will not be competing with Diaspora. While Diaspora publishes articles on Black art and culture, "The Word will be more socio-political," Rowe said.

The first issue of The Word will include articles on Black politics, Afro-American first-year students, the Harvard Society of Black Scientists and Engineers and an interview with Weld Professor of Law Derrick A. Bell, Jr. on issues facing the Law School.

The Word is part of a larger effort by AACC to become an umbrella organization for the various Black student organizations on campus, Rowe said. The AACC also hopes to unify the different Black student groups on campus by establishing good relations, providing financial support and eventually obtaining a physical center, Rowe added.