Hispanic Leaders Call For Redistricting Efforts

News Briefs

With the number of Hispanics in the U.S. continuing to grow rapidly, redistricting efforts within the Hispanic community are a crucial next step toward an increase in political power, Hispanic leaders from across the nation said at a forum Saturday.

"We're the largest growing minority. So what?" asked U.S. William Richardson (D-N.M.) before a crowd of about 50 in the Science Center. "What have we done with this power? Are we a national force?"

The forum, entitled "The Role of Hispanics in American Politics: the 1990s and Beyond," brought together Hispanic leaders from local, state and national government posts. Nifa Segarra, a member of the New York City Board of Education, and Diane Davila '88, a legislative aide to Texas State Sen. Roman Martinez, spoke along with Richardson.

In Texas at least, Davilia said, the political situation for the Hispanic community seems hopeful. In the 1990 census, the state gained three congressional seats--all of which she said could be won by minorities.

"We have as a community gained a better sense of what's going on...to get the gains our community deserves." she said.

Increased political power is crucial for dealing with the many problems the Hispanic community faces, Segarra said. In New York, Hispanics are already the poorest community in the city, and it has been plagued with a high incidence of AIDS and drug use, she said.