Class of '66: Liberal and Satisfied

By Suruchi Chandra

Still politically liberal, the Class of 1966 is satisfied with life and derives happiness from family, according to a poll of 702 class members conducted by class member Ellen R. Leopold '66.

While most of the class reported being Democrats, the Radcliffe class is substantially more liberal than the Harvard class. Seventy percent of the Radcliffe class and 45 percent of the Harvard class are Democrats, while only 2 percent of the Radcliffe class and 23 percent of the Harvard class are Republicans.

The class also expressed liberal views on a number of political issues. Over 90 percent of the class support the legal right to abortion and hand gun control. A majority believe in the ERA and sanctions against South Africa. Also, a large number of the class reports participating in some type of political group--37 percent for Harvard and 43 percent for Radcliffe.

Comfortable Lifestyles

A majority of the class also reports being satified with their overall life. Most find personal happiness not from their job, but their family.

More than half the class has been married for more than 15 years.

The Class of '66 also lives a very comfortable life; however, men earn significantly more than women. Over one half of the Harvard Class earns more than $100,000, while over one half of the women earn less than $50,000. A similar inequlity exists in family income for the class.

The poll also reveals other inequlities between the Harvard and Radcliffe classes of '66. While becoming a parent interrupted half of the Radcliffe class's employment, it only interupted two percent of the Harvard class's employment.