W. Booters Roar Past Lions, 3-1

By Liz Resnick

While the Harvard women's soccer team's game against Columbia on Saturday was not as one-sided as it has been in the past, the result was the same.

The Crimson (2-0-1 overall, 1-0-0 Ivy) completely dominated the Lions, 3-1. Columbia, in fact, showed little sign of life on Ohiri Field against the overpowering Harvard squad. Harvard recorded a whopping 46 shots on goal and 14 corner kicks, while the Lions mustered a scant three and zero, respectively.

"We did everything but score a lot of goals today," Coach Tim Wheaton said. "We generated a lot of chances, and when you do that, sooner or later you're going to score."

Harvard secured victory when freshman fullback Genevieve Chelius knocked a Sklyer Vinton pass into the back of the twines with 16 minutes remaining in the contest.

The Crimson added its final goal with only 49 seconds left when sophomore Betsy Miller notched her second tally of the day off a feed from junior forward Laurie Uustal.

Those who braved the chilly breeze were treated to four goals that were as pretty as they come.

Harvard opened the scoring 17 minutes into the contest when senior Co-Captain Robin Johnston eluded a Lion defender, creating enough space to loft a beautiful crossing pass. The ball found the head of Miller, who placed it beyond the reach of Columbia netminder Rachel Barney.

Harvard's lead, however, was shortlived.

Less than four minutes later the Lions capitalized on a direct kick from twenty yards out. Columbia junior Molly Sellner ripped the free kick over a wall of Crimson defenders, sending the ball past goalie Brooke Donahoe, who had no chance to get to the well-placed shot.

The Crimson continued to pelt the Columbia net, but Barney stood firm, turning back 33 on the day.

"It is hard to score with 11 people in the box," Uustal said. "They were packing it in, playing for the tie."

Although the Crimson struggled to finish its advances, it was a great boost for team to play hard for 90 minutes.

Perhaps the most encouraging aspect of the game for the Crimson was that it maintained its spirit despite the Lions' frustrating defensive tactics.

And it is always encouraging to get the first Ivy victory under your belt.

"We have a great chance to win the Ivies," Johnston said. "It is always up for grabs and Brown is not the powerhouse it used to be."