Senior Thesis Examines Group Choral Dynamics

By Daniel N. Saul

Rather than poring over large tomes in Widener Library in preparation for a thesis, one senior will be making use of another abundant resource at Harvard--choral singers.

Robert P. Isaacs '91-'92 has formed the Harvard-Radcliffe Schola Cantorum, a chorus of about 30 vocalists, to study choral music and rehearsal dynamics.

Isaacs, who has a special concentration in choral music, said that the group will perform its repertoire of British music at a December concert.

The members, most of whom perform in other campus groups, will spend time each rehearsal writing about choral rehearsal dynamics and other issues, Isaacs said.

"I want to find out what choral singers know which no one has asked them," he said.

"I think the most important factor in improving the efficiency of the rehearsal," Isaacs said, "is for the singer to take personal responsibility for the quality of the group as a whole."

Isaacs, who will conduct the group, said he may also invite guest choral conductors from the Boston area to observe the rehearsals.

"The attraction for many choral singers is the chance to tell the director what he does wrong--which I don't encourage in my class," said Murray F. Somerville, University organist and choirmaster.

"I haven't heard of this being done before," Somerville added. "I think it's a splendid idea."

Isaacs, who has sung with the Harvard University Morning Choir, the Glee Club and the Collegium Musicum, is well qualified to conduct this sort of study, said his thesis advisor John D. Stewart, a senior preceptor in music.

"He brings an immediate knowledge having been on the opposite side of the conductors stand," Stewart said.

Nadine Yap '92, a member of the Radcliffe Choral Society, was considering auditioning for the Harvard Radcliffe Schola Cantorum.

One of the reasons Yap was interested in the group was because "Nobody's ever talked about [choral music dynamics] before," she said. "It will give me some insight to see what's going on in rehearsals I sit in and make me aware of some of the behaviors I am exhibiting which I am not aware of."