Elis Top M. Booters In Overtime, 3-1

By Peter I. Rosenthal

For the Harvard men's soccer team, it can't get much worse.

The optimism of the pre-season has faded into the reality of a veteran squad that can't seem to put wins on the board.

The Crimson's losing streak was extended to three games last Saturday in New Haven when Harvard (2-3 overall, 0-2 Ivy) fell to the Elis, 3-1, in its second straight overtime contest.

Seeing Red

Harvard once again played without the services of one of their key players because of a red card suspension. Sophomore Joe Bradley was not available, and the Crimson suffered.

"They were knocking the ball around a little better than they would have if Joe were in there," senior midfielder Don Daigle said.

Although the Crimson missed the presence of Bradley, freshman Pepper Brill stepped in and did an excellent job, actually accounting for Harvard's only score, midway through the first period.

Receiving a pass from junior midfielder Jason Luzak, Brill drilled the ball into the upper left corner of the net for the 1-0 advantage.

That's All Folks

But that was all the scoring Harvard would get. Yale knotted the game at 1-1 at the 36:14 mark off a head ball by Bill Donnell.

"We were definately in the game," Daigle said. "We had a couple of lapses--we were kind of loose in our marking some of the time--but they didn't really create that many opportunities."

The score remained deadlocked at the end of regulation, but the Elis went ahead for good eight minutes into the extra session after Mario Bonaccorsi's blast was recovered by Donnell. Donnell dished the ball off to Rick Fullerton, who nailed home the game-winner.

Fullerton then iced the game five minutes into the second overtime session.

Harvard had a chance to score what would have been the game-winner early in the second half when Luzak beat Yale's goalie, Mike Compisi. His shot, however, went just wide.