AT HARVARD

1 October Thursday

Exhibitions

Aspects of West German Art. Through Oct. 18. About 30 prints, drawings and photographs from the post-war years. The show offers an introduction to German art preceding the international emergence of the country's contemporary work.

Italian Old Master Drawings from the Collection of Jeffrey E. Horvitz. Through Oct. 11. Thirty-eight Italian drawings ranging in date from the 16th to the 18th centuries. Among works featured are masterpieces by Giulio Romano, Guercino Casstiglione, Tiepolo, Salviate, Cnaletto and Guardi.

Poignant, Picturesque and Berserk: Northern Indian Paintings and Objects of the 17th through 19th Centuries. Through Oct. 4. More than 25 paintings, drawings and objects from the Mughai and Rajput courts and from British India. Varying from the nightmarish to the comical and from the serious to the satirical, the show highlights the unusual in Indian Art.

Films

Best Films from Oberhausen 1992. With Angela Haardt, director of the International Oberhausen Short Film Festival. Includes Anton Webern, Headrome, Lorenza and Time Being. Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts, 8 p.m. $6.50.

Lectures

Personal Perspectives with the Institute of Politics' Fellows. Forum event sponsored by the IOP. Kennedy School of Government, 8 p.m.

Panel of Five Law School Admissions Directors. Descriptions of the application process and information on schools at Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard and NYU. Boylston Hall, 7:30 p.m.

Democracy and Africa. Kwame Anthony Appiah, professor of Afro-American Studies. Coolidge Hall, Room 2, 12:30 p.m.

Theatre

Cartheginians. By Frank McGuiness. A dramatic and poetic exploration of the history and present plight of the city of Derry, Northern Ireland. Harvard Union, 8 p.m., $10 for students and seniors; $13 general admission. For more information, call 495-4350.

Fires in the Mirror. Through Oct. 10. One-person show written and performed by Anna Deavere Smith. The "dynamic human collage" depicts the racial riots in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, that took place last summer when a seven-year-old Black child was killed by a car driven by a Hasidic man. American Repertory Theater, 8 p.m. Call 547-8300 for more information and ticket prices.

2 October Friday

Concerts

World Music Grupo Aymara. Sanders Theater, 8 p.m. Call 876-9240 for more information.

Films

Harvard Film Archive. Cousin Bobby, a documentary by Jonathan Demme about his cousin, the Reverend Robert Castle, a minister at St. Mary's Episcopal Church on 126th St. in Harlem. Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts, 6, 7:30 and 9 p.m. $4 for students and seniors; $5 for general admission.

Theater

Cartheginians. Please see Thursday's listing for more information. Harvard Union, 8 p.m. $10 for students and seniors; $16 general admission.

Fires in the Mirror. Please see Thursday's listing for more information. American Repertory Theater, 8 p.m.

3 October Saturday

Concerts

Revolutionary Acts Fall Concerts. David Wilcoz and Ferron. Sanders Theater, 5:30 and 9:30 p.m. Call 661-1252 for more information.

Films

Harvard Film Archive. Cousin Bobby. Please see Friday's listing for more information. Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts, 4, 7:30 and 9 p.m.

Theater

4 October Saturday

Festival

Festival Mexicano. A day of Mexican culture at the Harvard University Art Museums. Free admission to Sackler, Fogg Art and Busch-Reisinger Museums. Xuchipilli, regional Mexican dance at 1:30 and 3:15 p.m. at Fogg Art Museum. Mili Bermejo and Dan Greenspan Duo + 1 at 2:15 p.m. at Sackler. Mariachi Chapala at 4 p.m. at Sackler. Free. For more information, call 495-4544.

Films

Theater

5 October Monday

Films

Harvard Film Archive. Entr'acte/Intermission. Directed by Rene Clair. One of the first films in which the images and events do not follow a narrative continuity, but are related on the principles of the unconscious works. A Page of Madness/Kurutta Ippeiji. Directed by Teinosuke Kinugasa. Depicts the inner world of insane people, confined in a lunatic asylum. Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts, 7:30 p.m. $4 for students and seniors; $5 for general admission.

Harvard Film Archive. Visions by Maya Deren. Works that explore space, time and movement through the use of creative cinematography and editing strategies. Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts, 6 p.m. $4 for students and seniors; $5 for general admission.

Lectures

Ted Turner and Jane Fonda. Forum event sponsored by the Institute for Politics. Kennedy School of Government, 8 p.m.

6 October Tuesday

Films

Harvard Film Archive. Cousin Bobby. Please see Friday's listing for more information. Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts, 9 p.m.

Harvard Film Archive. Entr'acte/Intermission and A Page of Madness/Kurutta Ippeiji. Please see Monday's listing for more information. Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts, 6 p.m.

Harvard Film Archive. Visions by Maya Deren. Please see Monday's listing for more information. Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts, 7:30 p.m.

Theater

7 October Wednesday

Films

Harvard Film Archive. Cousin Bobby. Please see Friday's listing for more information. Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts, 6, 7:30 and 9 p.m.

Theater