Did Someone Say Red Hot Chili Peppers?

No, But Ugly Kid Joe Thinks So

By Rita L. Berardino

America's Least Wanted

Ugly Kid Joe, on Polygram Records

From interviews with lowly college reporters in February to a prominent place in MTV's heavy rotation (ad nauseum) by Spring Break. The instant success of their first single and video "Everything about You" must have taken Ugly Kid Joe by surprise.

Ugly Kid Joe's whirlwind, MTV-induced rise to the giddy heights of fame and commercial success was based primarily on the band members' sunny Californian good looks and brand of pop metal that is accessible to even the most guitar-phobic Top-40 listener.

These five happy-go-lucky musicians offered a lighter, happier alternative to the melodrama of Guns N' Roses and unapologetic experimentalism of bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Faith No More. On their EP, As Ugly As They Wanna Be, UKJ never got deeper than the tragic teenage problems of parents and parties and fun sex.

America's Least Wanted, Ugly Kid Joe's first full-length album and follow-up to their Billboard-beloved EP, finds them still blissfully clinging to that high-school suburban mentality.

"Neighbor," the opening track and first single to be released, offers more of the same light-hearted twisted view on life that charmed so many in "Everything About You."

Borrowing key lines from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood ("It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.../ Won't you be my, won't you be my funky neighbor?"), lead singer Whitfield Crane cleverly adds disgusting bodily sound effects to his "Eeewwww gross" lyrical portrayal of the neighbor no one wants.

With their trademark warped view of reality, UKJ also tackles social problems like homelessness and censorship. According to "Panhandlin' Prince," the homeless are cool dudes rebelling against society: "I wouldn't trade no places to be in rat races/No siree!"

On "Goddamn Devil," Ugly Kid Joe cheerfully lives up to Bible-thumpers' expectations: "We'll make a deal, you'll grow your hair/ As Satan's child you'll start a band/ And spread the word across the land." Every parent's favorite metal god, Rob Halford of Judas Priest, even lends his signature screech to the backing vocals of this track.

One has to question why the band decided to include "Everything About You" as the eleventh track on this album. Those fans who would purchase America's Least Wanted most likely already own Ugly Kid Joe's EP, and excessive radio and video airplay has made the single far too familiar and a distraction from new material.

Unfortunately, Ugly Kid Joe's originality of approach and at times refreshing honesty in their lyrics do not extend to their musicianship. You'll hear only the most derivative guitar solos and embarrassing metal posturing here.

Flea, the Red Hot Chili Peppers' outrageous and outspoken bassist, would absolutely cringe if he heard the cliched funky bass line on the eighth track "Same Side." Not that he would ever pick up a copy of UKJ's latest, of course, considering his well-publicized opinion of these MTV darlings who have been for some reason so often compared to the Chili Peppers. In an interview appearing in Rolling Stone this summer, Flea dismissed UKJ as merely "copying us, copying Faith No More, copying pop-rock band No. 17B."

But the members of Ugly Kid Joe are probably laughing off such public disses. After all, respect and critical acclaim of their musicianship isn't part of their grand plan, as revealed in "Mr. Recordman": "To sell a lotta records `n' tour 'round the world,/ Make a lotta money 'n' meet lotsa' girls." With America's Least Wanted, Ugly Kid Joe seems right on track.