Foundation Elects Leaders

Bekele, Nicholson will Chair Race-Relations Organization

By Michael W. Choe, Contributing Reporter

Undergraduate leaders of the Harvard Foundation last week elected two juniors as co-chairs of the Student Advisory Committee.

Aida E. Bekele '94 and Ouzama N. Nicholson '94, of Cabot and North Houses respectively, will serve for two semesters as chairs.

Both women served last year on the committee.

In interviews last week, the new leaders stressed candid discussion among different racial and cultural groups on campus to cultivate good relations.

"We need to foster environments where people feel comfortable expressing their views," said Bekele, a history concentrator.

Nicholson, who served as the committee's secretary last year, said undergraduates should be careful not to stifle the many voices in the community.

"I think what we need to do is to not be so reactionary when problems arise," she said.

The Foundation, chartered in 1982 to cultivate relations among different racial and ethnic groups, is run by Director S. Allen Counter of 20 members.

In addition to House representatives and some who are popularly elected, the committee consists of representatives from the Black Students Association, the Asian-American Association, La O, Native Americans of Harvard-Radcliffe, Raza, the Radcliffe Union of Students and the Undergraduate Council.

Both Bekele and Nicholson are members of the Black Student Association.

Nicholson, a joint concentrator in biology and Afro-American studies, framed her goals in the long term, saying that problems like tension among minority groups are too complex for quick solutions.

"I'm not sure how successful we can be in one semester or one year in trying to solve these deep-rooted problems," Nicholson said.

In the meeting last Thursday, Stacy M. Mendez '94, a Quincy resident and a member of La O, was elected as secretary.

Counter said he was very excited about the newly elected leadership.

"Ouzama and Aida are two of the finest student leaders I have met at Harvard," Counter said.