Veep Debate: Beer and Jokes

Gore Draws Greatest Support From Amused Crowd at IOP

By Evan P. Cucci, Contributing Reporter

Cold beer, one-line zingers and hoots of laughter characterized the crowd of 150 watching the vice-presidential debate on a six-foot television at the Institute of Politics last night.

A predominantly Democratic group of viewers roared with glee as Sen. Al Gore '69, Vice President Dan Quayle and former vice admiral James Stockdale brawled in a zesty debate.

Gore drew the most support from the audience, who delighted in sipping their Miller Lites at every mention of the word "change."

Quayle received a mixed response of laughter and boos, while Stockdale prompted moans, and later sympathetic sighs.

Stockdale Bombs

"I think [the majority of] people felt most comfortable with Al Gore," said Spencer A. Overton, a third-year law student. "Now Ross Perot is not even a consideration."

Most of the crowd of Harvard students showed open pity for Stockdale. "I am embarrassed for him," said Katherine H. Ku '96.

After a while, Stockdale's disjointed responses wore down the crowd. Students could no longer hold back the snickers--and then loud laughter.

"The vice president is supposed to be able to take over for the president," said Overton. "Stockdale is just not qualified."

Students still considering a vote for Ross Perot were almost all disappointed by the showing of Stockdale.

"Dan Quayle was out for blood, Al Gore was out for change, and James Stockdale was out for lunch," said Oren S. Weinrib '96.

Statements by Quayle such as "I have been there. I was tested under fire" were greeted with laughter.

"My impression is Quayle is like a child," said Yasushi Watanabe, a graduate student studying socioanthropology.

"Dan Quayle is more pathetic than ever, frighteningly so, distressingly so," said Melinda Merrill Currier, a Design School student. "Gore nailed him."

Diehard Bush-Quayle supporters were hard to come by, but they stood their ground. "Quayle stressed that Bill Clinton isn't truthful," said George Wang '96.