Students Critical Of Perot's Return

By Brian D. Ellison, Crimson Staff Writer

Ross Perot's announcement yesterday that he would rejoin the presidential race inspired reactions of disappointment among Harvard students, whose emotions toward the Texas billionaire's antics ranged from anger to indifference.

Generally, students thought that Perot--who never explicitly said he was a candidate before dropping out of consideration in July--was not a serious political contender, but a few expected his most recent action to adversely affect the race.

Most student anger yesterday was directed at Perot's reversal of opinion. Some undergraduates thought he had planned such a routine from the beginning.

"I think he's a fascist," said Harmony Fusco '94. "He's completely trying to bypass the democratic process."

Fusco argued that through his late entrance and his temporary departure, Perot missed the most intense periods of media and public scrutiny.

Haneen M. Rabie '95 of Adams House agreed that Perot was manipulating the public.

"I don't think it's fair of him to play with the mind of the voter," Ra- bie said.

A few students complained of Perot's treatmentof his supporters at the time of his dropout inJuly.

"He left his supporters high and dry," saidChris W. Brechtel '96.

Matthew A. Holian '95, who said he hadsupported Perot last spring, agreed, saying hiscampaign actions reflect on the type of presidenthe would be.

"What kind of president would Ross Perot be ifevery time Congress disagrees with him, he quits."asked Holian.

The issue, according to many students, iscredibility. Weihsueh Chiu '93 wondered why Perotever dropped out "if it was completely up to thevolunteers from the beginning."

"It just seems less credible," Chiu said.

Student politics, too, criticized the Texan.

"I think he's an egomaniac," said Gregory S.Chernack '93, head of Harvard/Radcliffe forClinton/Gore. "I think he's lost all credibility.

And on this issue, at least, there isbipartisan agreement.

"I think the Ross Perot phenomenon is about tofizzle," said Emil Michael, president of theHarvard Republican Club. "People have justabandoned him."

Both Chernack and Michael said they thoughtthat Perot's move would mean gains for Bush insome states and Clinton in others, but that thefinal outcome would not be significantly affected.

Perot Movement Absent

A Perot movement similar to those thatinitially swept other parts of the nation wasnoticeably absent at Harvard. In fact, of over 30students interviewed in dining hall last night,only one said he would support Perot.

"I'm a Republican and I'm dissatisfied with theway George Bush has handled the campaign and theway he's run the country," said Christopher M.Stang '95.

Even Stang was disappointed when Ross made hisfateful July announcement.

"I was angry with him when he dropped out and Idon't think it shows good character to be aquitter," Stang said.

Nevertheless, Stang said he understood Perot'sdecision.

"I think he dropped out because he didn't likethe way his candidacy was being described byDemocrats and Republicans," Stang said. "Hethought debate about the presidency would be on ahigher level."

But both Chernack and Michael expected theeffect of Perot's re-entry on the Harvard campusto be minimal, and that few students would rallyto support the independent.

"I would be shocked if he has a major presenceon campus," said Chernack. "I think his impact onHarvard would be even less significant than it iselsewhere."

Virginia A. Triant contributed to thereporting of this story.

Perot Movement Absent