Visiting Lecturer Talks On S. African Violence

By Alex B. Livingston, Contributing Reporter

Visiting lecturer David Goldblatt opened his Gahan lecture series last night by reading articles on South African civil violence.

Goldblatt, a South African citizen who arrived in the U.S. on September 10, presented writings from three prominent South African photographers to an audience of 50 at the Carpenter Center of Visual Arts.

Goldblatt, also a photographer, is teaching "Visual and Environmental Studies 145r: Built Structures and Ideology" while visiting Harvard this semester. The Visual and Environmental Studies department sponsors his weekly lecture series.

In an interview after the lecture, Goldblatt called the political situation in his homeland "extremely complex."

He said that the variety of organi- zations now seeking political power in SouthAfrica has complicated the task of governing thatnation.

While the South African said he was impressedby the anti-apartheid campaign at Harvard, he saidthat higher education in the United States is notas well integrated as in South Africa.

"There are far more Black faces at a SouthAfrican university today than at Harvard," hesaid.

Asked about the role of photography in theworld of images, Goldblatt said still lifephotography will always be important injournalism.

"Movies and television won't supplantphotographs," Goldblatt said.

The lecture's first article, written by JohanKruse, described the experience of onephotographer working in the violent conditions ofSouth Africa.

The author admitted to using a gun asprotection while photographing dangerous events,including one incident in which he shot and killeda man.

The second selection, penned by Paul Weinberg,was written as a response to Kruse's article.Weinberg, a senior editor for the South AfricanUnion of Journalists, questioned Kruse's policy ofcarrying a gun and his attempts to build hisreputation by using photographs of violent acts.

The last article, written by Kevin Carter, alsoattacked Kruse and raised ethical questions aboutphotographers who cover violent events.

Goldblatt has published five books, includingtwo with novelist Nadine Gordimer, and has heldexhibitions around the world of his photographs.

Some of Goldblatt's photographs, taken from thebook In Boksburg, were displayed in the main foyerof the Carpenter Center yesterday