Canadian Military Ends Ban on Gays

U.S. Last NATO Member to Keep Policy

By Marion B. Gammill, Crimson Staff Writer

Placing career ceilings on homosexuals in the military conflicts with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, a Canadian court decided Tuesday.

Canada's decision makes the United States one of only four NATO members to continue to ban homosexuals from the armed forces. U.S. military policy dictates that gays must be automatically discharged from any branch of service, including the ROTC program in which students at Harvard and many other colleges and universities participate.

The Canadian ruling decided the court case Douglas vs. the Queen, brought by a member of the Canadian Air Force who resigned in 1990 rather than accept career restrictions imposed because she is a lesbian.

Although the decision was reached in the Federal Court Trial Division, the lowest level of Canada's highest courts, it will not be appealed, said Colonel R.A. McDonald, a member of the office of the Judge-Advocate General in Canada.

"It was resolved by consent order, which means both sides agreed on the decision," he said.

Originally Canadian military policy was in accordance with current U.S. restrictions, banning gays from the military. An interim policy was later set, allowing gays to participate but setting restrictions on career progress beyond a certain level, McDonald said.

"First, the policy was that homosexuals would not be recruited or retained in the armed forces," he said. "Then it changed. [Gays] could not be recruited, but they could be re- tained with career restrictions."

During the past several years, the military'streatment of gays and lesbians has becomecontroversial at many U.S. universities, includingHarvard. Although Harvard no longer has a ROTCbranch on campus, students participate in theprogram through MIT and receive militaryscholarships.

Several Harvard groups have called for theUniversity to sever all ties with the group untilthe policy is changed. Currently, the Universityis considering available options.

The debate will be rendered moot if Democraticpresidential candidate Gov. Bill Clinton wins nextweek. Clinton has promised to end the military'sban if elected.

According to students at Canadian colleges, thesituation is quite different there. McGillUniversity in Montreal does not have a branch ofthe Regular Officers Training Plan, the Canadianequivalent of ROTC, according to Susan L. Vivian,news editor of The Daily at McGill.

"It's really rare in Canada," she said. "Thereare military colleges...it's not an issue for uson campus. It's much less formal and lessintegrated in Canada than in the U.S."

Sander J. Grieve, opinions editor of the QueensJournal at Queens College in Ontario, sharedVivian's opinion. Although some college studentsdo belong to a reserve military corps, he said,the groups are not directly connected withuniversities.

"My house mate is in a navy reserve corps. Theypay him just like a normal job--they do nottechnically give him money for school," Grievesaid