University Offers HIV Medical Benefits

Workers Infected On Job to Get Aid

By Kelly M. Bowdren, Contributing Reporter

A new insurance benefit policy announced yesterday will gaurantee $100,000 to anyone infected by HIV, the virus believed to cause AIDS, while working at any of Harvard's thirteen teaching hospitals.

The measure is part of the newly crafted Work-Related HIV Benefit Plan, and is one of the first in the nation to go beyond the strictly counsel-and-education approach of supporting AIDS patients.

"Existing health care, disability and workers' compensation benefits do not adequately address the unique needs of the health care worker infected with HIV," said Medical School Dean Daniel C. Tosteson '44 in a prepared statement.

At no extra cost, 50,000 medical students, physicians, and other health workers will come immediately under the provision. The $100,000 will supplement counseling and other benefits.

Harvard officials said yesterday that theinitiative was grounded in a desire to "do theright thing" for those who may contract thedisease, rather than simply respond to theincreasing risk of infection.

"[The initiative] is designed to give someonethe option of using financial assistance veryearly on, when there is still time to go aroundthe world and enjoy oneself or pay off a mortgageor put money away for college," said Clyde H.Evans, associate dean for clinical affairs at theMedical School.

In a brochure to employees, Harvard estimatedthe risk to health workers of contracting thevirus to be less than one in 10,000.

While the University expects an average of oneclaim per year, Evans said that two claims havealready been successfully filed, with 12 pending.

But the one-in-10,000 statistic does notrepresent the true risk to laboratory workers,said Tom Skinner, a spokesperson for the U.S.Centers for Disease Control (CDC). For healthworkers like those in some Harvard laboratories,who have direct contact with infected blood, therisk jumps to one in 333, he said.

According to the CDC, while health workersaccount for more than 8400 of reported AIDS cases,less than 100 are though to have contracted HIV onthe job.

Claimants must demonstrate proof of awork-related HIV infection by a negative testresult within five days of a reported riskyexposure, followed by a positive result any timein the next six months. All test results willremain confidential.

Tightening the procedures for distinguishingwork-related cases from non-work-related cases "isstill being worked out" by the the GeneralCounsel's office, Provost Jerry R. Green saidyesterday.

Besides Harvard Medical School, the policy willinclude Beth Israel Hospital, Brigham and Women'sHospital, Children's Hospital, DanaFarber CancerInstitute, Harvard Community Health Plan JoslinDiabetes Center, Judge Baker Children's Center,Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, MassachusettsGeneral Hospital, McLean Hospital, Mount AuburnHospital, New England Deaconess Hospital andSpaulding Rehabilitation Hospital.

Gady A. Epstein contributed to the reportingof this story.