A Paucity of Publicity

By Geoffrey C. Hsu, Contributing Reporter

For most political campaigns, attracting voter attention is the name of the game. But as far as many first-year students are concerned, the College's only officially recognized student representative body is keeping a very low profile.

So low, in fact, that they know barely anything about the body or its election process.

"What Undergraduate Council?" asks Grays resident Mia R. Genoni '96. "Are we voting? When? How?"

Edward H. Wu '96 of Thayer Hall says, "The only reason I know about the elections is because someone called me last night to think of campaign slogans."

John C. Mitchell '96 says the council's efforts at publicizing the elections have been "poor."

"To tell you the truth, I think it's been pretty poor," says the Canaday resident. "They're representing me, and I'm paying a small fee. I think it's their duty to tell me when the elections are."

But members of the Undergraduate Council say they have actively recruited first-year candidates for 21 seats.

"We've gone out of our way to make the incoming first-year student comfortable about running in student government without being intimidated," says David A. Aronberg '93, chair of the council.

To encourage first-year participation, the council advertised introductory meetings in the Yard Bulletin and the Calender of Opening Days, a booklet given to all first-years. In addition, the council tabled at first-year registration and postered the Yard.

First-years candidates compete in four representative districts, North Yard, Southeast Yard, Southwest Yard and Union/Canaday. Position papers were due last Friday, and elections will be held on October 7, 8 and 9.

But Vice Chair Malcolm A. Heinicke '93 says he is not surprised by the average first-year student's lack of knowledge about the council.

"We don't ask everyone to know about the Undergraduate Council," says the Eliot House resident. "If some first-year students don't know about the U.C., they'll learn through the campaign process, and if they don't. it won't be extremely detrimentel to their Harvard experience."

Even first-year candidates say the council suffers from a lack of publicity.

"Maybe half of the first-year students know what the council is," says Saurav Goswami '96 of Wigglesworth. "The others either have a vague idea or have never heard of the council."

"It's sad because it's their only voice to change the quality of their life as students," he says. Goswami says he is running for council representative to make the body "active rather than passive."

First-year candidate Austin William K. Won So '96 says the council fails to establish a rapport with students and is therefore largely ineffective.

"I hate bureaucracy with a passion," says the Hollis Hall resident, "I want to make the council a cleaner and slimmer organization."

Although many first-year students say the elections are not well publicized, the number of first-year candidates has actually increased from last year.

According to Heinicke, the total number of candidates, including first-years, has jumped to 144 students, 34 more than last year's.

Aronberg attributes the rise to a variety of reasons. The council organized successful events and has since improved its reputation, he says.

"I'm encouraged by the first-year students' response, dedication, and willingness to do work," says Aronberg. "We're excited because the candidates all seem to be serious about the council."