Council Candidates Jockey for Attention

By Yvonne M. Saenger, Contributing Reporter

Candidates for Undergraduate Council slowed their frenzied struggle to post flashy posters in strategic locations as council elections entered full swing yesterday.

Voting will continue until tomorrow for seats on the 88-member body.

Politics aside, voters interviewed yesterday said they were impressed by the creativity of the candidates.

"I voted for all the people whose posters I saw," said Bill C. Galliga '95.

If Steven E. Xydas '96 is elected, he can probably thank his parents for their wisdom in giving him the unique set of initials which appeared in bold type on his posters.

"I wanted to establish name recognition among the students in my districts," Xydas said. "My initials helped but I also wrote my positions on many of the issues on the flyers that I distributed and posted."

Campaign publicity appeared to have had its largest impact on first-year students, who often didn't know any of the candidates personally. "I voted for them because they're devoted workers and they do a great job," Jerry J. Smith '96 said, adding quickly, "Actually, they live in my dorm."

Going door to door was a good strategy for Joe S. Evangelista '96, according to Anna Marcovic '96. "He had an answer for every question we gave him," she said.

Some potential voters were less enthusiastic about the election. "I asked if I could vote with negative numbers," said Karin L. Riley '95, referring to the voting procedure, which consists of numbering the candidates. "When they said I couldn't I decided to abstain."

Some students complained that the council elections were too negative. One poster accused the candidate's opponents of sustaining discrimination against gays and lesbians, promoting date rape and postering in "illegal"places.

"I think [the election] has gotten prettynasty," said Mathew Strack '96.

In the end, voters seem to be following acampus trend of style over substance when makingtheir decisions.

"I voted for them because they're cool," saidKaston Dondy '93