U.C. Criticizes Proposed Bike Policy

City Council's $50 Fine on Bicyclists in Cambridge Common Draws Fire

By Robin J. Stamm, Contributing Reporter

The Undergraduate Council is protesting a proposed City Council resolution that would impose a $50 fine on cyclists in the Cambridge Common.

Earlier this week the Undergraduate Council sent a letter to all nine City Council members to criticize the resolution's negative effects on students who cycle through the common to get to class.

"The $50 fine would force cyclists into the streets," the letter states, "adding to the congestion and endangering the cyclist, and perhaps even the drivers."

The resolution will likely be voted on by the City Council sometime this month, according to Undergraduate Council Chair Malcolm A. Heinicke '93.

Heinicke said he believes the cyclists are a positive force in the community and should not be fined.

"Cyclists do the city a favor by not having cars that add to the traffic and pollution," Heinicke said. "The enforcement of the law would be a disservice to Harvard undergraduates living in the Quad and 29 Garden St. who bike to class."

Heinicke cited the dangers of forcing cyclists into the streets surrounding the common.

"The common is the safest way to go," Heinicke said. "Mass Ave. is really dangerous, especially at night time and in the winter with the ice."

The resolution, proposed by Councillor Sheila T. Russell, is designed to protect pedestrians by enacting a law to enforce the existing prohibition on cycling in the common.

"We get complaints all the time about people almost getting hit by cyclists," Russell said. "The elderly often get startled when the hear cyclists come up behind them on a path meant for walking."

Russell said she does not believe that the resolution will pose a greater threat to cyclists in the Cambridge streets.

"The streets around the common are no more dangerous than any of the other streets in Cambridge where I see [cyclists] all the time," Russell said. "[If cyclists have concerns] they should have been more careful biking through the common."

Heinicke said he does not believe the cyclistsinterfere with pedestrians.

"The cyclists are not reckless," Heinicke said."And the wide paths can accommodate both walkersand bicycles."

Heinicke also said he disagrees with the CityCouncil's proposed option of walking the bikethrough the common.

"[Walking the bike] is a pain and defeats thepurpose of riding, especially in the winter," hesaid.

Russell said she is not opposed to working outa compromise with the cyclists.

"Any person with serious complaints should cometestify in front of the city council," Russellsaid. "Maybe we can work out a designated area forbicycling.