Limited Options

Harvard and Yale Mirror Each Other

By John B. Trainer

The Harvard and Yale teams are virtual mirror images of each other:

Both teams feature an offense keyed on one player: for Yale, junior taiback Keith Price: for Harvard, junior quarterback Mike Giardi.

Both teams feature a strong defense keyed by nine senior starters.

But Harvard has an edge: its quarterback can throw. Giardi has thrown just three interceptions all season while completing 85 of 162 passes for 1211 yards; Yale quarterback Steve Mills has thrown seven interceptions while completing 60 of 113 passes for 863 yards.

Mills's backup, sophomore Chris Heatherington, has thrown six interceptions while completing only 11 of 39 passes for 111 yards.

"We've got to stop Price," senior tackle Phil Furse said. "If we can get good penetration, we can mess up the option and slow Price down."

Price (979 yards on 220 carries) operates mostly out of the I-bone, a formation which gives Price lots of blocking and time to pick his holes.

"The I-bone comes straight at you," senior free safety Rob Santos said. "It's good, hardnosed football."

Harvard has had recent success against powerful rushing games. Pennsylvania pounded tailbacks Sundiata Rush and Terrence Stokes at the Crimson line, but the line held in key situations.

On the other hand, Penn wasn't running an option offense. The option offense is predicated on the performance of the quarterback--the Achilles Heel of the Yale attack, according to senior linebacker Monte Giese.

"Their quarterback likes to keep the ball and run with it, but he's not as good as Price is," Giese said. "If we can get the QB to keep the ball, that's good."

Giese also said that a quick start by the defense would be a key to stopping the Yale option.

"If we stuff it in their face right away, then we're doing well because they can't throw," Giese said.

Harvard's offense will have to cope with the Yale defense--strong on the line but weak in the secondary. Yale's passing defense was ranked last in the Ivy League. (Yale's defense was ranked sixth in the Ivies overall. Harvard was ranked fifth.)

The Crimson attack comes down to one guy--Giardi. He'll have to run, pass and decoy against a team coached by a man who has seen the Multi-Flex 22 times. Yale Coach Carm Cozza has been around even longer than Harvard Coach Joe Restic--28 years.

Cozza's no idiot, either. He knows Giardi is good and he's ready for him.

"Harvard is a dangerous team. Mike Giardi is an excellent quarterback who really can make things happen," Cozza said.

Last year, Giardi was held to 83 yards on 14 carries, but Captain Robb Hirsch exploded for 99 yards on 10 carries. The same personnel are in place today.

Both the offense and the defense are peaking at the right time. Giardi had a career game against Brown and another against Penn. The defense is coming through in the clutch.

Cross your fingers and hold your breath, but this just could be the year.

VOICE OF THE PLAYERS

"I used to go to The Game with my father and brother and some friends when I was younger. I remember one game, over at Yale. It was bitterly cold--like 20 below with the wind chill. But the guys were out there and playing strong, and I just remembered thinking how great it was. So I'm psyched to be a part of it." --Captain Robb Hirsch, senior halfback