Harvard Union Elects Officers

Three of Four Incumbent Candidates Retain Positions

By Menoo D. Cung, Contributing Reporter

The Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers elected officers Wednesday to four campus-wide positions and seven of the 13 executive board seats.

The elections brought little change in leadership, as the majority of the candidates for office were incumbents who ran unopposed.

The only contested race was for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences region executive board representative. Tom Canel of Phillips Brooks House defeated Jeffrey Booth of Widener Library for the position.

Donene M. Williams, of the School of Public Health, was re-elected as president.

Williams said she expects to uphold current union goals and policies in the coming term. The union's main project now is contract negotiations with the University.

Long-Range Concerns

Health benefits and family issues are her most important long-range concerns, Williams said.

Gloria Buffonge from Harvard Business School was elected vice president; Randall Kromm of the Graduate School of Education, secretary; and Jennie Rathbun from Houghton Library, treasurer. Campus-wide officers serve three-year terms.

Executive board members, who represent different regions of the University and supervise day-to-day operations, face reelection every two years on a staggered basis.

This year, seven members of the executive board were elected. They are Lyn Feeney of Harvard Medical School, Allison Hampson from the New England Regional Primate Research Center, Mark McWhorter from the Office of Information Technology, Adrienne Landau from University Health Services, Dev Kernan of the Kennedy School of Government, Tom Canel of Phillips Brooks House and Bob Mendelson from the Division of Applied Sciences.