MIT Students Stabbed After Fraternity Fight

By Elie G. Kaunfer, Crimson Staff Writer

Two Massachusetts Institute of Technology students were stabbed late Friday night following a scuffle with eight teenagers at a fraternity party, MIT officials said.

One of the teenagers stabbed juniors Sean C. Chappe and John P. Olynyk, both members of Delta Kappa Epsilon, after the two students threw the teenagers out of the party.

Olynyk, who was stabbed in the hip and the back, was released from Mass. General Hospital yesterday evening. Chappe was treated for minor wounds to the face and released early Saturday morning.

One hour after the incident, Boston Police stopped a car on University Ave. in Boston whose license plate matched eye-witness accounts. Sgt. John J. McCune said he found a six-inch knife on one of the four teenagers in the car and handed them over to Cambridge Police.

But Cambridge Police released the teenagers after fraternity members could not positively identify them, police officials said.

"It's a little confusing," said MIT News Official Robert D'Iorio of the arrest. He added that no other arrest had been made as of yesterday evening.

According to MIT news officials, fraternitymembers asked the teenagers to leave after one ofthem allegedly pulled a fire alarm in thebuilding.

Dirk Bernold, vice president of the fraternity,said the teenagers were not affiliated with MITand that he had never seen them before.

"It was completely random," he said. "There wasnothing leading up to this."

Bernold said that the fraternity will increasesecurity at future parties, adding that studentswere shaken after the incident.

"No one was falling around in tears, but peopleare upset because there is a lot of violence goingon around MIT," he said.

The Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity house islocated at 403 Memorial Drive, three blocks fromwhere MIT senior Yngve Raustein was murderedearlier this fall