Biotech Execs Meet Reeves In New 'Open Door' Forum

Discuss Business Relationships with Public Schools, Universities, Residents

By Heather M. Leslie, Contributing Reporter

Executives from Cambridge's biotechnology firms met at City Hall with Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 and other Cambridge residents early yesterday evening to discuss the future of the biotechnology industry in Cambridge.

The gathering, attended by about 20 people, was part of a monthly series of "open door" meetings between the mayor and residents.

The event presented an opportunity for biotech executives to talk with Reeves and other Cambridge leaders about the role of the industry in the city.

"The underlying purpose of these events is to make City Hall open and available to a wide cross section of people," Reeves said.

Reeves said the informal meeting facilitated collaboration between different biotech firms and people associated with the local universities.

"It is really the emerging type of business. As manufacturing jobs move out of the Western Hemisphere, we are going to be involved much more in problem-solving," said Reeves.

The city's biotech firms are working with Cambridge's schools, initiating courses that relate to the field and stress the importance of science and math, in general.

"If the students of today do not become competent in math and science, we will be doing a tremendous disservice to them," Reeves said.

Until 15 or 20 years ago, chemistry was the cornerstone of the pharmaceutical industry. Now companies like Repligen determine the genetic profile of diseases and use biotechnology to devise drugs accordingly, Repligen financial officer Ramesh L. Ratan said.

Biotech executives who were meeting with the mayor said there is a "sympathetic relationship" between the city and the industry. The presence of Harvard and MIT make the city a good incubator for fledgling biotech firms.

"Cambridge is really the main center for biotech, certainly in the nation and perhaps in the world," said Van Truong Le '89, executive assistant to the mayor.

Yesterday's event was the fourth in a series of open houses held at the mayor's office.

"It's to remind people this is a public place. City Hall is their hall," Le said.

"The mayor gets a chance to hear different perspectives," Le added. "People can tell the mayor straight up what they're thinking."

Between 50 to 80 people have attended each of the monthly meetings, Le said. Each is open to the public, and a certain group receives invitations, such as members of the biotech industry, so that the discussion has direction.

Taxi drivers, restauranteurs and hotel managers have all been guests of the mayor, and local artists and senior citizens are scheduled for future discussions.

At a cost to the city of $350 to $400 dollars per event, these monthly meeting offer a cost-effective way to reach Cambridge residents, Le said.