RUNNING ON THE FRINGE

Five Minor Party Candidates Compete for Votes

By Brian D. Ellison, Crimson Staff Writer

While the media has focused much attention on independent Ross Perot this election year, he is not the only alternative party nominee on the Massachusetts ballot. Besides President Bush, Bill Clinton and Perot, five other candidates will be running in the hotly contested presidential race:

Lenora B. Fulani, New Alliance Party: Like many alternative candidates, Fulani calls for reform to the two-party system which she said maintains "a stranglehold" on the political process.

A supporter of civil rights for minorities, gays and lesbians, the elderly and disabled, Fulani calls for a broad-based coalition to help her get to the White House by 1996.

She is pro-choice, supports the right of workers to strike, promises to make polluters clean up their mess and "opposes war," according to a voters' pamphlet statement.

She believes problems in the economy and the domestic agenda can only be solved by revamping the government.

Fulani's running-mate is Maria Elizabeth Munoz.

John S. Hagelin, Natural Law Party: Hagelin is the first nominee of the Natural Law Party, which was established only five months ago to "bring the light of science into politics."

Hagelin, who received a Ph.D. in nuclear physics from Harvard in 1981, promises "cost-effective solutions" to national problems based on scientifically tested approaches to health care, crime reduction, pollution control and other programs.

The party's platform calls for "a flourishing national economy," "a disease-free society" and "an America free of crime." According to the party, all these solutions are interrelated and achievable only by changing government's approach to problems.

On foreign policy, Hagelin calls for maintaining a "scientifically proven peace creating technology." He also supports a shift from a policy-based military aid to a policy "based on exportation of knowledge."

Hagelin's running-mate is Mike Tompkins '70.

Lyndon H. LaRouche Jr., LaRouche for President: A perennial candidate and former Democratic Party official, LaRouche--who was convicted of fraud and remains in prison--proposes converting the Federal Reserve into a National Bank and issuing $600 billion in low-cost credit to state and local governments for infrastructural public works project.

His plan, which LaRouche says would create six million jobs, would use revenues from an expanded tax base for economic and social justice programs.

LaRouche said he will rebuild the transportation grid, with an emphasis on the rail system, push for fusion energy and institute a "science-driver, to fuel industrial productivity, such as a long-range buildup toward the colonization of Mars."

LaRouche's running-mate is the Rev. James Bevel, direct action coordinator for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

Andre Marrou, Libertarian Party: The Libertarian party is governed by Thomas Jefferson's principle, "That government is best which governs least." Marrou believes America's problems can not be solved under the Democrats or Republicans.

The party says it places "a high value on both personal freedom and economic liberty." Marrou supports phasing out income tax, ending the deficit by "eliminating wasteful and unnecessary programs" and making Germany and Japan pay for their own defense.

He also supports tuition tax credits for students and upholds abortion rights, though he opposes government funding for abortions.

Marrou's running-mate is Nancy Lord, an attorney specializing in medical-legal and constitutional issues.

Howard Phillips, Independent Voters Party: In contrast to the "Great Society" policies, Phillips offers voters a "Grand Bargain, which he says would cut federal spending by $500 billion a year and eliminate the need for taxes and the Internal Revenue Service.

Phillips, the chair of the Conservative Caucus and the U.S. Taxpayers Alliance, calls himself "projobs, pro-growth and pro-life." He promises to appoint no judge who fails to publicly acknowledge the humanity of every unborn child.

He also favors capital punishment, saying "the answer to violent crime is not more prisons, but more executions." He also says he will work to "repeal quotas" and cut off "federal subsidies for homosexuality."