A Capella Singing Spreads to Garden St.

New Group, Called 'G Natural,' Plans to Entertain Neighbors and Friends

By Mohammed N. Khan, Contributing Reporter

A group of residents from 29 Garden St. are planning to form an a capella group to serenade fellow exiled first-years.

About 13 students, organized by Tehshik P. Yoon '96 and tentatively dubbed "G Natural," recently came up with the idea for the group when they noticed that many of them had musical interests.

"We had a really informal meeting and we said that we liked to form our own group," said Eric H. Liu '96. "One of our aims was to sing for us--the Garden Street people."

Annabel A. Chen '96, another potential member, said the singers have not yet established any positions or guidelines for the group. She said a singing group will help Garden Street residents bond.

"It's not so serious," she said. "It's more for fun."

The group has not set any definite plans beyond entertaining the Garden Street residents, Yoon said.

Although Liu expressed an interest in singing Christmas carols, Yoon said the group may not be able to rehearse before winter break because of conflicting schedules.

About half of the group is involved in musical groups such as the Glee Club, Krokodiloes, and the Radcliffe Choral Society, Yoon said.

Yoon, a member of the Glee Club, said the singers do not plan to seek official recognition from the College.

"It would be a great idea, but it's not a major goal of ours," Yoon said. "We'll exist whether we have recognition or not."

W.C. Burriss Young '55, a Garden Street proctor and associate dean of first-year students, said he has talked to the students informally about the unofficial singing group.

"It's a 29 Garden Street thing and it's something we would support," Young said.