Reviews

The Editor's Picks

#1--Sonic Youth, Dirty

No band is better with its guitars than Sonic Youth. And no Sonic Youth album is better than Dirty, a delicious, raw, high-energy hour of controlled cacophony that highlights the prowess of guitarists Lee Renaldo and Thurston Moore. Lyrics, provided by both Moore and bassist Kim Gordon, range from the political to the sexual to the anecdotal. This is penetrating stuff. The strongest tracks include "100%," "Sugar Kane," "Wish Fulfillment," "Chapel Hill," and "Purr."

#2--R.E.M., Automatic for the People

Intense, rich and beautiful, this ninth album from the Athens college radio quartet is a masterpiece. Guitarist Peter Buck's trademark jangle gets the addition of acoustic strumming, and singer/lyricist Michael Stipe demonstrates a more versatile, more daring vocal performance. Highlights are the gorgeous "Nightswimming," the earnest "Find the River," and the brooding "Drive."

#3--Poi Dog Pondering, Volo Volo

You probably haven't heard of this band, and you're not alone--inexplicably, no Boston radio station will play them. But Poi Dog offers a lot--fun melodies, great bass lines and searching lyrics, not to mention strings, congas and horns--that make this the frolic album of the year. Buy it. The best songs are "The Hardest Thing," "Ta Bouche Est Tabou," "Tall" and "Lackluster."

#4--Lyle Lovett, Joshua Judges Ruth

A compelling combination of swing, jazz, gospel and rock, this offering from the ever-versatile Lovett is another richly recorded production. His throaty-sweet voice and wry lyrics are in top form. Check out "I've Been to Memphis," "All My Love is Gone" and the beans and good cornbread on "Church."

#5--Luna, Lunapark

If you can endure the often depressing lyrics, this first album from the Luna trio (made up of former members of the Feelies, Galaxie 500 and the Chills) is a wonderful catch. On tracks like "Crazy People," "Anesthesia," and "Time to Quit," simple 6-note guitar melodies combine with precision drumming, driving bass and angelic voices to achieve a lazy but frenetic sound. Other standouts include "I Can't Wait" and the album-opening "Slide."

#6--Soul Asylum, Grave Dancers Union

This Minneapolis alternative band has emerged from obscurity to make an album that's soaring up the college charts--and for good reason. Soul Asylum's innovative sound, slightly reminiscent of the Hoodoo Gurus, is complemented by passionate vocals and an unmistakable pop sensibility on this new Columbia release. Grave Dancers Union has its share of muscle but also dabbles in daintiness. (The last song, "The Sun Maid," even has strings.) This record--particularly its standouts "Black Gold," "Runaway Train," and "Without a Trace"--simply happens.

#7--10,000 Maniacs, Our Time in Eden

After a three-year lull, singer Natalie Merchant and her band are back with a strong follow-up to their mediocre Blind Man's Zoo of 1989. Merchant's poetic lyrics and majestic voice are in full display on Eden, and they seem even more thoughtful--and warmer--than before. That effect is enhanced by keyboard and string arrangements and the addition of horns to some of the songs. The two opening tracks--"Noah's Dove" and "These are Days"--along with "Few and Far Between," are the disc's most compelling.

#8--The Beautiful South, Beautiful south 0898

With its quirky lyrics, catchy melodies and full-bodied instrumentation, this latest record from the Beautiful South is a musical joy. A male and a female singer, both with strangely infectious voices, propel the disc. The first three songs--"Old Red Eyes is Back," "We Are Each Other," and "The Rocking Chair"--are a good sampler of the Beautiful South's diversity of styles.

#9--Graham Parker, Burning Questions

Long before Elvis Costello was singing "Allison," Graham Parker--one of Costello's vocal influences--was making rock 'n' roll albums. His songs, on this and previous LPs, are cynical commentary on love, life and relationships. Acoustic, layered production adds intimacy to the music on Burning Questions. "Release Me" and "Mr. Tender" are the record's finest.

#10--Buffalo Tom, Let Me Come Over

The guitar-driven sound of this band, unlike that of groups like Sonic Youth, isn't filled with distortion and feedback. Songs like "Staples," "Taillights Fade," and "Velvet Roof' are straight-forward, accessible rock.