Faculty Council Discusses Disabled

By Anna D. Wilde, Crimson Staff Writer

As the University nears completion of a number of newly handicapped-accessible buildings, the Faculty Council yesterday began a discussion of the University's responsibilities to disabled students.

Secretary to the Faculty Council John B. Fox, Jr. '59 said some council members expressed a wish for more specific directives and guidelines for situations involving disabled students, such as distribution of lecture notes and time limits on exams.

The discussion comes during a push by Harvard to make campus buildings more accessible to the handicapped and to rethink its resources and policies.

The University is currently renovating a number of Yard dorms, including Weld Hall which will be fully accessible to the handicapped once construction is complete. But Fox said the age and design of many of Harvard's buildings, in addition to outside factors such as weather and the design of Cambridge's sidewalks, make such changes difficult.

In other business, the council dis- cussed the role of Harvard's visitingcommittees--which comprise of experts outside theUniversity--in response to a Board of Overseersrequest to review the visitation process.

Dating back to customs observed at Oxford andCambridge Universities, each of Harvard's visitingcommittees meets at scheduled intervals to examinea given aspect of the University and preparereports for the Board of Overseers and President.

Also at yesterday's meeting, Polly Price,associate dean of human resources, discussed withthe council a proposed survey of non-unionized butnon-faculty employees in areas from administrationto forestry. The survey will attempt to measurefairness and equity in the treatment of suchemployees.

As supervisors for many of these non-unionizedemployees, faculty members will play a large partin evaluating the survey, Fox said