Harvard Loses Tourney

B.U. Wins Minigolf Prize for Charity

By Amanda C. Rawls, Contributing Reporter

After a tipsy two-hour battle, Harvard succumbed in its first-ever minigolf tournament to a more powerful Boston University squad and makeshift teams from three other local colleges last night.

Students at six Boston-area colleges attended the tournament held at The Golf Club, a newly-opened Boston bar. Teams were lured to the tournament by a $1,000 prize to be donated to the charity of the winning students' choice.

The B.U. team, which shot a 33--six under par--was composed of four members of the co-ed Delta Gamma social club. They plan to donate their winnings to the Sight Conservation/Aid to the Blind, according to B.U. senior Kate P. Edelbaum.

The Harvard team, playing for the Phillips Brooks House Association, shot a 37, losing by four strokes.

"It's a game of inches," said Ross I. Daniels '93. Daniels and his three Lowell House roommates, Julio O. DePietro '93, Britton B. Stephens '93 and John A. Vest '93, made up the Harvard team. Stephens, their elected captain, was not overly upset about the loss.

"We came here to play golf, have a good time, and raise money for a great organization," Stephens said.

"Unfortunately, we blew the bunny," DePietro added. "We were robbed."

The Golf Club, which opened in Boston three weeks ago, is the Northeast's first 18 hole indoor miniature golf club. Co-owner Kevin J. Troy said the club has done well so far.

"The weekends are jam packed," said Troy. "This is a challenging course, totally different from the windmills and clowns at other courses."

The Golf Club hosted the college tournament asa means of increasing exposure to college studentswhile providing a benefit event, said Anne E.Rippey '93, an intern at Deedee Chereton andAssociates, the bar's public relations firm.

Of the other colleges participating, TuftsUniversity and MIT tied for second place with a34, Boston College shot a 36 and NortheasternUniversity shot a 40.

Not all of the golfers were college students.Tom W. Buettner, a 1992 graduate of BabsonCollege, and his group watched the competitorswith interest.

"I see a lot of people with bad form, pooretiquette, and a lot of people wearing their hatsbackwards which looks really weird," he said