Theater Advisor May Lose Position

Symonds Popular Among Students

By Alex B. Livingston, Contributing Reporter

Harvard's popular advisor for undergraduate theater may be forced to step down if a faculty committee redefines his position later this academic year.

The position of student advisor and technical director for undergraduate theater, which Alan P. Symonds '69 has held for the past year, may change after spring semester, according to members of the Harvard-Radcliffe Drama Club (HRDC).

Several undergraduates said yesterday that the loss of Symonds would be a grave blow to student theater on campus.

Charles J. Adomanis '95, technical liaison for the HRDC, acknowledged yesterday that a proposal has been made to the Standing Committee on Dramatic Arts that could change Symonds' job description. The committee is responsible for selecting instructors and technicians for the dramatic arts at Harvard.

Adomanis said he believes that if the change is made, Symonds would no longer be able to work at Harvard.

"The position is being redefined in such a waythat he may not be considered qualified by thecommittee," Adomanis said.

Adomanis would not comment on the specificchanges the proposal would entail.

Dean of Continuing Education and UniversityExtension Michael Shinagel, who chairs theCommittee that would make the decision to redefineSymonds' job, refused to comment on whether theCommittee was considering the proposal.

But Jennifer G. Uphoff '93, outgoing presidentof HRDC and a non-voting member of the Committee,said the Committee plans to hold a nationwidesearch for a new technical director.

Symonds would not comment on the matter. "Ihave to be constrained in my discussion," he saidyesterday. "Any kind of publicity now would onlyharm the students."

Shinagel denied that Symonds would be asked toleave Harvard this academic year. "Symonds isworking and will be working this spring," he said."There has been no change in Symonds' position."

But Shinagel did acknowledge that a"difficulty" in funding may affect Symonds'employment status at the University.

"There was an attempt to get funding and thatdidn't come through," Shinagel said.

Students who have worked with Symonds defendedhis value to Harvard student theater.

"He is the biggest asset student theater hasright now," Adomanis said.

"He is what's holding Harvard theatertogether," said one student who worked on a LoebMainstage production with Symonds last year. "Itwould be a great loss if Symonds was fired."

Uphoff, who will step down from her post aspresident of the HRDC after this weekend'selections, said that the committee considersstudent input in its decision-making. She addedthat Symonds is very popular among studentthespians.

But Jonathan C. Dorf '93, treasurer of theHRDC, saidthe club, which is responsible fororganizing student theater, could not reverse anydecision made by the faculty committee.

"He is an employee of the College," Dorf saidof Symonds