Restauranteurs Join Forces

Cambridge Mayor Lauds New Central Square Coalition

By Gia Kim, Crimson Staff Writer

At a buffet yesterday in City Hall, Cambridge Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 recognized the efforts of the International Restaurants of Central Square, a new organization designed to bring business to an economically depressed shopping district.

Normally a locus of commercial activity, Central Square has recently been plagued by a decline in customers, due in part to an increase in crime and homelessness.

Thirteen restaurant owners formed the organization six months ago to advertise one of Central Square's main attractions--its international restaurants, according to Central Square Business Association President Carl F. Barron.

"We had a feeling that one of the best assets of Central Square was the diversification of ethnic restaurants," Barron said.

The organization hopes to draw more clients to Central Square, according to Toscanini's Ice Cream owner Gus E. Rancatore.

"The main point of the campaign was to emphasize the square's existing strengths--the restaurants and the night life," he said. "We want customers, especially college students, to either come back or to come back more frequently."

The campaign is also designed to improve Central Square's image, said Abebe A. Woldu, who owns Asmara, an Ethiopian restaurant.

"We got together to make sure that the security and cleanliness of the Central Square community was advertised," he said.

Barron said cooperation, not competition, characterizes the restaurant owners' activities.

"The restaurants, although they are all operating within a very small geographical area, are working harmoniously for the common good," he said.

Food Donation

The coalition of restaurant owners plans other events, including a food donation to needy people and a drawing for $1000 in gift certificates, to promote the Central Square area, according to Frank Mastromauro. Mastomauro owns the Italian restaurant La Groceria.

The restaurant owner's actions are part of a long-term plan to improve the square, Mastromauro said. "It is definitely part of a movement to revitalize Central Square," he said.

Approximately 150 people attended yesterday's buffet, which featured coupons and free food from the participating restaurants, Rancatore said.