SETTING OF THE WEEK--CBS' COZY LIVING ROOM

FOR THE MOMENT

We cannot help but enjoy Pat O'Brien, CBS's ultimate non-specialist, and his late-night updates from the CBS set on the Olympic site. The living room idea is, of course, hardly new, but it is sort of odd to realize that CBS transported all that stuff that they use for the CBS Morning News to Albertville, France.

Every night, CBS makes it seem as if we intrude upon Pat's serenity in his Alps chalet. With each new segment, Pat turns away from the shelves of fake leather books lining the set, as if he was doing some light browsing and we butted in.

Pat even let us sit in on his intimate chat with Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith in their cozy dwelling. Don, as Pat explained, is in Albertville as part of a Presidential delegation dispatched to the Winter Games in the name of world harmony.

Not surprisingly, Don and Melanie didn't actually seem to know too much about the Olympics. Their pearly smiles and fur knickknacks did, however, look very nice on TV.

And in another not too surprising event, Pat neglected to ask the couple what should have been the central question of the interview: whether the government is paying for them to attend the Games. And furthermore, who elected Don Johnson as a symbol of America?