Icewomen Deep-Freeze Tigers, 3-2, in N.J.

By Joanne Nelson, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard women's hockey team notched a 3-2 comeback victory Sunday against Princeton.

In the second period, the Tigers were sitting on a fragile 2-0 lead, but the Crimson (10-9 overall, 8-8 ECAC) stormed back with three unanswered goals to win the game and move into third in the Ivy League standings, behind Dartmouth and Princeton.

The game was an encouraging one for a much improved Harvard team, which needed the victory to stay in the race for an ECAC Tournament slot.

"We came out knowing we had to win, and that they had just beaten Dartmouth (5-4) the night before," sophomore forward Joey Alissi said. "We put a lot of pressure on them and it was just a matter of time before we scored."

The Crimson's hopes of a bid were dashed last yesterday afternoon, however, when the ECAC granted Brown the last tournament seed.

The Bears will join Providence, UNH, Northeastern, Princeton and Dartmouth in the tournment held in Providence, R.I.

The news undoubtedly suprised Harvard, which has recently played three solid games against tournament-bound teams, notching wins over Princeton and Northeastern, and falling only to number-one seed, Providence.

Against the Tigers, Harvard started a little slow, but soon began to pepper goalie Jen Pottorf (34 saves) with pucks.

US National Team member, Kathy Issel provided her net-minder with a little assistance. The freshman walked around two Harvard defenders at 8:27 to put Princeton in front, 1-0. Later in the second, Issel again capitalized on a Crimson mistake to boost Princeton's lead to 2-0.

"She took advantage of our holding back defensively and put a shot low in the corner," Co-Captain Sandra Whyte said.

Steady defender sophomore Francie Walton turned into an unlikely hero for Harvard when she picked up a pass from junior Kim Landry, carried the puck into the circle and beat Pottorf to the top corner at 12:58 of the second period.

The goal was Walton's second this season, and narrowed Princeton's lead to 2-1.

Whyte picked up the slack in the third period, scoring both Crimson goals, her second with only 2:40 remaining.

"Francie [Walton]'s goal really ignited us, but the whole team played super--we outshot them 34-13," Harvard Coach John Dooley said.

Harvard Thumbnails

Record: 10-9 Overall, 8-8 ECAC, 5-4 Ivy

Top Scorers: Sandra Whyte '92 (20-18-38), Jen Minkus '92 (8-14-22), Jo-anne Alissi '94 (11-7-18), Bev Sticles '92 (3-11-14)

Goaltending: Erin Villiotte, 3.25 GAA, .908 Save %

Remaining Games: Dartmouth, tonight at 7:30 p.m. in Hanover, N.H.