Moore to Plug Cheating Book

Controversial `Satire' Author to Visit Area Schools in April

By William C. Slaughter, Contributing Reporter

Every College student has probably considered cheating at one time or another.

But before now, no one has figured out a way to actually make money off idle daydreams of the best way to fool an exam proctor.

Micheal Moore, a junior at Rudgers University, has done exactly that.

Two months ago, Moore published Cheating 101: The Benefits and Fundamentals of Earning the Easy. `A', an 86-page book detailing the various methods college students use to cheat on their work.

The book, which Moore called a "satire" reflecting how "cheating has become the American way," has already sparked controversy on campuses across the nation.

In April, Moore will come to Boston to promote his book at Harvard and other area schools.

Students at Boston University, Boston College and Harvard have already ordered copies, Moore said.

But charges that the book "contributes to the mediocrity of American society" by encouraging student cheating has led to the book being banned on campuses like the University of Maryland and Ohio State University.

Harvard students interviewed yesterday said they would definitely consider reading the book.

"I might buy it just to read it, but not to learn how to cheat. I'd read it just because it looks interesting and funny," said Leo K. Yin '95.

Even some Harvard officials said they would enjoy thumbing through the cheating how-to guide.

Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Education Jeffrey C. Wolcowitz said he would like to see it "out of interest," if only to "be aware of what mechanisms people might be using" to cheat.

Academic Dishonesty

Moore said such attitudes are fine with him. Although he wrote the book primarily to make a profit, he also wanted to help "focus attention on the problem of academic dishonesty," he said.

"I want people to read what I write," Moore said. "It's up to [college] administrators to change things."

Wolcowitz said he is confident that Harvard students can read Moore's book and still "maintain their same standards of academic integrity."

And Moore said the charges that his work might encourage academic dishonesty are unfair.

"I just tell the truth," he said.

Moore said that because he could not interest any publishing company in Cheating 101, he had to produce and print the first 1000 copies of the book himself.

The first edition of the book, sold only at Rutgers, The University of Maryland, and Ohio State, sold out quickly, Moore said. He has since sold over 6000 copies of the book on campuses across the country.

The Rutgers student formed his own publishing company to distribute the book, and he said that he advertises the book primarily through "word of mouth." He described selling the book as "an agonizing process."

Moore said that his book, despite the fears it might inspire in some college administrators, will ultimately do more good than harm. The publicity surrounding his book has helped alert colleges to the pervasiveness of students cheating, he said.

School officials from MIT, the University of California at Berkeley and Stanford University have already ordered copies of Cheating 101, according to Moore.

Rob S. Chang '95 agreed with Moore's theory that Harvard authorities have no reason to worry.

"I think that the kind of people at Harvard are not, in general, the kind who cheat," he said.