Harvard Beats Union, Wins 1000th Game

Only Minnesota Has Reached Collegiate Hockey Milestone

By Jay K. Varma, Crimson Staff Writer

In 1989, Ed Krayer slipped a slow backhand into the Minnesota net to secure Harvard men's hockey program its first-ever NCAA championship. It is forever known in Harvard lore as The Goal.

Junior Steve Flomenhoft's tally at 9:45 of the second period against Union on Saturday probably won't be memorialized as The Goal. (Harvard didn't even save the puck, which was nabbed by the Union manager)

But, by all rights, Saturday night's winning goal--sealing the 1000th win--was just as significant as Krayer's tally three years ago.

Flomenhoft's shot turned out to be the Crimson's game winning goal as it eventually sailed by Union 7-3 to notch Harvard's 1000th program victory.

Harvard is only the second school in the nation to reach that milestone (Minnesota is the first), a remarkable achievement considering that the school plays far less regular-season games than most schools.

After the game, everyone gushed about their pride in Harvard's hockey program.

"I didn't realize that my goal was the game-winner," Flomenhoft said. "I guess that puts me in the annals of Harvard hockey history. I'm just happy and excited to be a small part of it."

"It's a great victory it. It represents a win for all of Harvard hockey, past and present," Captain Kevin Sneddon said.

And Tomassoni, who tried to defer comments to Athletic Director and coaching legend Bill Cleary, couldn't help but be overwhelmed by the drama of the moment.

"That was history today, a culmination of a lot of great hockey players. It's just a terrific milestone. We're very proud of that fact," Tomassoni said.

Of more immediate concern to the Crimson squad, of

course, was how the win affects Harvard'sstandings. Harvard is now alone atop the ECAC,with an astounding 10-1-3 record (23 points). Yale(9-2-3) and St. Lawrence (10-3-1) are both tiedfor second with 21 points, while Clarkson (whichwas shocked 4-2 by Vermont on Saturday) is wayback in third with 19 points.

From the outset, Harvard controlled themomentum against Union. Clearly faster and moretalented, the Crimson passed the puck around theSkating Dutchmen with ease.

Union, however, drew first blood. On one of itslone breakaways (the Dutchmen managed a scant sixshots on goal in the first period), senior ForwardDalton Menhall punched in a loose puck in front ofthe Crimson cage to put Union up 1-0.

Less than a minute later, however, Harvardsnuck back, with freshman Brad Konik slapping in arebound by the left pipe, knotting the score atone 6:14 into the contest.

For the rest of the period, Harvard kept up itsoffensive pressure, but a physical Union defense,plus outstanding play by goalie Luigi Villa, keptthe Crimson from breaking the stalemate.

Harvard looked ready to blow the game wide openin the second, rattling off three goals in thefirst 10:15. But the Dutchmen capitalized onerrors by goalie Chuckie Hughes to bring Unionwithin one.

The Crimson responded to the challenge,however, quicker than you can say "where the hellis Union College?" Hughes was rock solid for theremainder of the game, and Harvard kept Unionreeling for the final period and a half.

Junior Matt Mallgrave netted two goals andsenior Jim Coady added one to seal the win.

Road to 1000 VlctoriesWin  Date  Opponent  Score1  Jan. 11,1900  MIT  10-1100  Jan. 9, 1917  MIT  8-0200  Dec. 9, 1931  MIT  7-1300  Dec. 18, 1946  BU  5-4400  Jan. 10, 1956  at Providence  5-4500  Jan. 4, 1962  Northeastern  6-1600  Dec. 5, 1968  Northeastern  8-4700  Feb. 23, 1974  Yale  6-2800  Feb. 26, 1982  Princeton  10-0900  Feb. 7, 1987  Princeton  3-11000  Feb. 1,1992  Union  7-3

CrimsonGreg EngelHarvard's JIM COADY, PERRY COHAGEN andMICHEL BREISTROFF celebrate.