Hockey 101: Never Ever Stop Checking

By Jay K. Varma, Crimson Staff Writer

Number 12 on the Harvard men's hockey team is known by many names.

Steve. Flo. "That Goon."

But whatever name he's called--and certainly opponents have thought up some creative ones--junior Steve Flomenhoft is known as a talented forward whose physical brand of hockey distinguishes himself from his fellow teammates.

Indeed Flomenhoft seems like a fish out of water on the Harvard hockey team.

The Crimson has traditionally groomed finesse players, who are often small and quick.

Flomenhoft, on the other hand, prides himself more on his brawn than his flash. The massive (6-ft. 215-lbs) forward is more comfortable forechecking than racing the puck into the offensive zone. And he scores goals through positioning and slap shots rather than slick maneuvers.

Nevertheless, the junior forward has fit nicely into Harvard's offensive game plan.

Playing on the team's most experienced line with senior Tim Burke and junior Matt Mallgrave, Flomenhoft went into last weekend as the team's third leading scorer, behind Mallgrave and freshman Steve Martins.

Of course, Flomenhoft is still known mostly for his physical style.

He has established himself--at least unofficially among Harvard's faithful--as the team's enforcer. Each time the Riverwoods, Ill. native slams an opponent into the boards or throws a hipcheck, chants of "Flo" ring from Bright Center's stands.

The Leverett junior certainly knows what's expected of him.

"The physical game is not one of our strengths so I pay particular attention to that side of my game," Flomenhoft says. "I don't go looking for trouble. But if it arises, I'll stick up for my teammates."

Keeping the game physical is, for him, the key to success.

"The first thing I concentrate on is the physical game. If that works, everything falls in place. My confidence builds, and the adrenalin starts flowing," Flomenhoft says.

Of course the ultimate objective of a forward is to score goals. In his first two years, Flomenhoft spent much of his time on checking lines, where the primary responsibility is wearing down the opponent.

At the same time, however, Flomenhoft perfectedhis blistering slap shot and wrist shot to pump ingoals, including six of the power play last year.

This year, Flomenhoft found himself as theteam's top returning scorer (12-14-26 in 1990-91)and continues to provide offensive production.

His hard shot from the left point in the secondperiod against national-ly-ranked Clarkson insuredthe Crimson a 4-4 tie three weeks ago.

Flomenhoft believes, however, that his line cando much more.

"We would like to be leading the way. We can bea big point-producing line. But we're only goingto score goals by working hard and forechecking,"Flomenhoft says.

For Flomenhoft, that requires him to bepersonally more aggressive on the offensive end,where he often sets up shop around the opposingnet.

"It's a mental thing," Flomenhoft says. "I haveto develop the confidence. It's about wanting thepuck being the first in on the forecheck and goingafter the puck and shooting."

Being at Harvard has undoubtedly improvedFlomenhoft's offensive production. Surrounded by acoaching staff that preaches quick skating andcrisp passing, Flomenhoft has picked up hisskating speed.

And Harvard hockey's winning tradition plays apivotal role in during games.

"The tradition of Harvard hockey instills inthe you a pride to win for yourselves and also forthe previous players who played here, to add totheir accomplishments and hopefully add a newchapter," Flomenhoft says.

Flomenhoft certainly knows what it takes towin. An avid student of hockey, the forwardrealizes that this team, perhaps more than in thelast two years, has vast potential. It has thechance, he believes, to restore Harvard'svictorious tradition.

"I'd love to make the NCAA tournament,"Flomenhoft says. "We have a lot of potential to gofar. Of my three years here, this has probablybeen the most exciting.